Chapter 7-Answered

Hi everyone. I know its been a long time since I've updated. Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy it :)

************************************************************************************************************

Trisha was struggling to stay awake when her husband’s headlights peered through the blinds of their home and alerted her. She listened to all the familiar sounds of the slamming of his car door, his footsteps on the walk and the click of the lock when he came inside. 

When he came through the bedroom door, she put a finger to her lips, motioning towards their four year old grandson sound asleep next to her. Carefully, not wanting to make any movement, she climbed out of bed and led him into the living room.

She settled onto the couch with Rudy after handing him a plate of leftover dinner she had warmed up. He inhaled a few bites and complimented her on the meal. She nodded and waited for him patiently. When he was finished he set his plate on the coffee table and turned his body towards her.

“Thank you.” he said.

She gave a slight smile. “You’re welcome.”

He crossed his hands in his lap and swallowed hard. “I wasn’t able to talk to her today. She’s unstable. She won’t let Drew leave her side.” He knew Trisha would know he was talking about Sara.

Trisha played with a red lock of hair that rested on her shoulders. Her green eyes studied Rudy.

“You look worn out. I know you didn’t fall asleep last night.”

He massaged his temples and blew out a breath. “Trisha, I don’t know if I will be able to sleep until this is over. The inspection on the house today was upsetting.”

Trisha tried to get a read on him. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“I’ve never dealt with anything like this as I long as I have been in Ronaline.” His voice had a gruff edge. Behind the gruffness of his voice there was doubt. “I was trained for it through school, but I guess I let my guard down a little after being here so long.” He felt her hand cup the side of his face. She slid closer to him and to where he could feel her warm breath against his skin.

“Rudy, don’t let this tear you apart. I have seen you handle a lot of situations. Don’t undermine yourself.”

He hardened, not liking his weaknesses to show. He then looked at Trisha and softened again. She knew him better than he knew himself some days.

“McClain was asking about you tonight.” She smiled referring to their grandson. He returned the same smile.

“I’m a little jealous of him. He got to spend the whole evening with you.” She chuckled and he drew her close against him and kissed her hair. “I’m serious.”

Trisha eyed him humorously and gave a flirtatious wink.