Chapter 42

The two battled silently, exchanging unspoken words that remained lost within its recipient. She hadn't expected her question to create a heaviness in the air that left her internally fighting for breath, but it affected her enough that she needed to tear her gaze away from Matthew. In reality, she hadn't meant to ask the question out loud, but before she realized it, the words had already left her tongue. His response made her cheeks flame up in shame, and she felt particularly foolish for feeling empathy towards those who would ultimately deliver her to her demise.

Julia sighed, focusing on unwinding her mind and heart within her damp cell. For five long, grueling minutes, she felt a pair of eyes staring powerfully at her, causing her to look up at Matthew.

"Can you stop staring at me?" He remained wordless, causing her to shift her weight awkwardly. Finally, his lips parted.

"You went on a mission to Miami, correct?"

"How do you know that?"

"I was there. With Zane."

"The stalking? That was you two?" She inquired in shock, earning a nod of affirmation from him. "Why were you—how were you two there?"

"Why? You already know the answer to that." Matthew retorted, giving her a pointed look. Her heart rate increased, the realization of being targeted even back then hitting her. "How? Zane bugged the same knife you pulled on him that day at the park. We tracked you there." He explained briefly before getting to the point. "What happened during that mission?" He pressed, leaning down to rest his elbows on his knees.

"I got caught, there was a struggle between both groups, a hidden sniper—" She cut herself off, her eyes widening again. "They all died. Gunshot to the forehead, some messy and some cleanly done." Biting her lip, she closed her eyes and rested for a few moments before opening them again. "That was you guys?"

He shook his head, a dark chuckle resonating from him.

"That was all Zane, sweetheart. I just watched."

She thought back to the head wound that Mark had obtained, which had instantly took his life. The image of the gaping hole and fragments of brain entered her mind, along with the pool of dark blood that had seeped through it. She couldn't tell what type of bullet could have possible done that kind of damage, but knowing that it was Zane who had mercilessly killed an entire group of opposing members without hesitation surprisingly shocked her.

He had done it swiftly, accurately, and ruthlessly.

"Why did he do it?"

"To ensure that his target didn't die before he could deliver." Matthew's bitter words stunned her with a wave of aggression and alarm. "Zane made sure to show his devotion to Samil and the agency. He did whatever it took to get the job done."

"But?" She continued, knowing exceedingly well that he'd failed to mention something. Julia had picked up on Matthew's willingness to speak to her, and she'd take full advantage of it until he'd decide to switch up on her.

"You changed him." He stated simply, giving her a strange look. "You complicated things, and at a very drastic degree. It was all the more reason for Samil to hunt you down. Only, he was much more impatient than when we'd first started the mission."

"He saw me as a threat?"

"He never liked female agents because of the one thing they'd use against others." Matthew smiled sardonically, laughing through his nose. "Samil hated their sex appeal, and when he noticed Zane reaching for you, he had to have you. One betrayal was enough. Samil wants to end things now to ensure his agents remain loyal." He chuckled to himself, seemingly amused by his thoughts as his gaze connected with hers. "Who would have thought that a likeable personality could be destructive?" As his words sunk in, she chewed her gum slowly.