The Future. The Past. The Transverse.

Prologue:

I ran. As fast as I could.  Anywhere but here.  I ran through the forest, branches fiercely scratching my face. No stopping. Just keep running. My heart was pounding rapidly in my chest. I could feel it at the back of my head. Just keep running. My hands covered in blood. Just keep running. The key around my neck. The package in my front pocket, the Transverse in my back. Keep running. Something caught on my foot. And down I went, smashing my head on something cold. And then my world... turned to darkness.

Chapter one: The name’s Kamika Donalley.

‘My name is Kamika Donalley, I am 18 years old. The date is the 26th of June 2046,’ I remembered.

‘Very good, but when’s your birthday Kamika?’ asked doctor Kayne.

‘9th of September’ I replied, ‘can I go now, please’.

‘Where exactly do you plan on going? I mean I can’t stop you from leaving but no one has come to pick you up, and you’re in no condition to go off by yourself,’ said Kayne.

‘Well can I at least have the things I was brought in with?’ I asked, a little annoyed.

‘Yes, of course. I’ll just fetch them.’

He returned within a few seconds carrying a small plastic package that looked like it contained quite a few things. He left me alone for a few minutes while I opened it. I hadn’t been left alone much, so it felt good to have some personal space. I ripped open the package without care and emptied the contents on the hospital bed.

So this is what I’d been told. My name was Kamika Donalley. 18 years old. The year was 2046. I had been found with blood covered hands in a forest just out of town. The blood was not my own. I don’t remember anything.

 So far that’s all I know about myself. It’s funny you’d think I’d have family or friends searching for me. Or I don’t know, someone, looking for me. I mean I’ve been in the hospital for a week, and no one’s come. Anyways I have no home to go to. No money. No friends. And no family that I know of.

Back to the package. Its contents was spread out on my bed. The first thing I noticed was the necklace, a key attached to it. Hmm... Ok, mysterious. The second thing was a wallet. Inside was a picture of a stunning girl, long, straight, Barbie doll-blonde hair. Beautiful blue eyes and perfect lips. Her nose was a little big but it seemed to match her other features. Then I noticed the name underneath,.. Kamika Donalley. What? That’s me, I hadn’t seen my own reflection, I hadn’t even been allowed to leave the room. (With the blood on my hands being somebody else’s, I had the coppers guarding my room and detectives constantly asking me questions).

Wow, that’s unexpected. I looked down at my hair, messy from lying in bed, and not being groomed for the last week. Well it’s possible. The wallet contained no money but it did contain a few interesting things. A hotel card, for the Millennium Biltmore Hotel, four credit cards, a coffee club card, and a trinket of some kind. It was a little crown. Beautifully made. Its colours so powerful.

There were two objects left, one being a thick envelope, I ripped it open. A huge pile of cash sat in the envelope there must have been at least a few thousand dollars there.

 The final thing was a round metal like object, about two inches thick. It had four buttons on the side, one said ‘の’, the second ‘オフに’, the third ‘まで’ and the last ‘下’. I guessed Japanese. There was also a big button in the middle. I pressed it.. nothing happened. Pressed it again… still nothing. Well that’s useless. Then I noticed a key hole. (Light bulb!) I picked up the necklace bearing the key.

At that moment my thoughts were interrupted by the doctor making reappearance. Except when I looked up it wasn’t the doctor. A man in a balaclava, dressed in a black uniform. Came running towards me.

I froze shocked. Not sure what to do. When he reached me he grabbed my hand and dragged me to the window.

‘What are you doing? Let go of me you prick!’ I squealed,’ where is doctor Kayne?’

‘Shut up Kamika, it’s me. What’s wrong with you? You know you need to stay out of hospitals. Now they probably have ex-rays of you. God! We don’t need them getting this kind of information. And don’t you dare tell me you’ve fallen for the doctor’

‘What? Fallen for the doctor? Are you crazy?’

‘Well it wouldn’t be the first time, ‘he said, picking up the items on my bed.

‘Look I think you have the wrong person, I don’t know who you are or what you’re going on about...’ he shoved me out the window. I screamed. Oh no now I’m going to be sidewalk smush. Splatted across the ground. Ewww.

‘Shut up!’ he grunted.

I hadn’t fallen to my horrifying death like I thought. Just a level down onto some squishy lawn.

‘RUN!’ he ordered.

I don’t know why I ran, but something told me this guy wasn’t here to hurt me. He obviously knew who I was. He might have some information.

I ran towards the hospital car park. Now where?  

From behind me a voice yelled, ‘the black SUV’.

I spotted the car, (floating about fifteen inches off the ground) but this I wasn’t so sure about. He grabbed my arm just below my elbow.

‘I’m not here to hurt you. Whatever they’ve done to you Kamika, it will be okay,’ He reassured, opening the passenger’s seat, ‘please.'

I got in. I didn’t even think. I just knew it was what I had to do.

As we drove off heading north, after taking off his balaclava, he handed me my things. Surprisingly he was quite good-looking, blondish hair, nice greenish-blue eyes, about nineteen or twenty years of age, and through his outfit you could see his body was just as pleasing.

 I wanted to know how he knew me, and what his intentions were. I wanted to know why I was found with somebody else’s blood on my hands. I’d succeeded in pushing it to the back of my mind, but now it was killing me. I yearned to know who I really was. Who the girl was in the ID picture. But I didn’t know where to start.

‘Well, I guess we’ll need to get you to Grace’, he said.

‘Who?’ I asked, confused.

‘Oh, Kamika, you really don’t remember anything do you?’ he sighed, and after a few seconds said something that for some reason scared me to the bone.

’your mother.’

______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter two:

My mother. I hadn't really thought about it. What was she like? Would I remember her when I saw her? Or would i be just as lost?

We'd been driving away from the city for more then an hour now. My kidnappers' name was Christian, thats all he would say. He seemed to be in a mood with me, but dont ask me why.

We finally slowed down at a small town called Jakarta. It was one of those towns with alot of greenery. All the tree's branches hanging over the road. Large beautiful mansions everywhere. A fresh water, river running on the right side of the road. It was paradise.

After turning down a few streets, the car stopped outside of a stunning cream palace. The front yard crowded with palm trees. A GT500 Elanor was sitting out the front with a lady in her mid thirties, leaning on its side. She was in a white singlet, black leather motorbike riding pants and avaitor sunglasses. Her long brown hair ruffled by the wind. She was stunning.