Chapter 24 (Stricken)

Chapter 24

Nathan could hear Brad speaking to him while Elliot sat in the back cleaning himself up. He just chose to tune it out. The only thing taking control of his mind was Candice and the disappointment etched across her beautiful face. The worst part was that he was the reason for those unshed tears.

“Are you even listening to me?” Brad asked looking over his shoulder to see if they were followed. Brad had always been overprotective of the things and people he held dear.

“No. Honestly -I wasn’t.” he said rubbing his face with frustration.

“Look you’ll have time to tell her. Just focus on this.” Brad said a bit too sternly. He held out the laminated document. Behind the smooth plastic was an old paper written in inspirational calligraphy. Nathan held it in his hands studying it and sighed. His ancestors had no business dooming their children to something so horrendous, a loveless marriage. No one should be forced to marry just because a piece of paper said it to be right. If their ancestors would have been brave enough, they should’ve fought. At least in the future their children would be free.

Brad launched into an explanation and nodded as Elliot made some suggestions. Their lawyer Lincoln Korr, would be waiting for them at the Jazz Cafe; which didn’t surprise him one bit that Lincoln would pick such a place. Lincoln had something of a dual personality. Everyone who knew him both loved and feared him. No one dared to cross Lincoln and that’s what made him such an outstanding lawyer.
        Brad was the first to spot Lincoln. He was lounging on one of the chairs, distracted by his new gadget. Brad scoffed at the cute brunette who was buzzing around him with a jug of water. Lincoln looked up and gave her a wide smile.

“Thank You Olive.” he said looking straight into her eyes.

“Welcome Mr. Korrs” she blushed and almost fled into the kitchen.

“Still destroying hearts I see.” Brad spoke from behind. Lincoln turned around and got up. He laughed and brought Brad into a big hug.

“What did you do with your hair? And what in the world is wrong with his face?” he asked amused by both Brad buzz cut and Elliot’s beaten up face.

“Can’t keep his mouth shut” Brad grinned. Lincoln turned his attention to Nathan and gave him a small grin.

“It’s been too long. How have you been?” he asked and to Nathan’s surprise there was some seriousness in his tone.

“I’ve been better.”

“So I’ve heard. Brad filled me in on the situation. I’m not going to lie Nate, you’re in a pickle. Lucky for you-I’m an amazing lawyer.” he winked and ordered the small girl who had served him before to bring out wine. “My treat”.

It took them a couple hours to straighten things out but it seemed as though they got a case. Thanks to Lincoln the Nathan and Candice could live freely. Lincoln just had to get a legal document to keep Aiden away from them.He had already worked on a restraining order which would be processed in a day or two.

“You’re truly the best.” Nathan said patting Lincolns back. Lincoln nodded eyeing the girl carefully. She picked up their glasses and shot Lincoln a quick look. He gave her a smug grin and turned to Nathan.

“Is she really worth all this trouble Nate?” Lincoln asked sipping the last of the red wine. Nathan didn't need to think about his answer.

“Yes.” Nathan grinned like a schoolboy. Lincoln nodded.

“Then hold on to her Nate.” he simply said and dropped the three to their car. He went back inside the cafe to spend the next four hours listening to music.