Just A Few Minutes

Chapter Thirteen

“What are you doing?” I asked Derek, clueless as to what was going on right now. My brain was refusing to function properly. Some things just weren’t comprehending fully in my mind. Like what was happening right now.

Derek was gently guiding me towards the Wayford’s driveway, holding me steady as he helped me walk. I wasn’t even sure why this was happening. One moment I had been dancing, and in the next Chrissie was pulling me from the guy I was dancing with and handing me off to Derek like she had just sold me, or something.

Derek gave me a quick sideways glance, and I could see him debating over what kind of answer to give me. “I’m taking you home.” He said softly, holding up a set of keys that I recognised as my own from the heart shaped key ring attached.

I stared at him in surprise before reaching to pat down the pocket I had remembered them being in, only to find it empty. My eyes widened as I looked back at him. Had he taken them from me?

My mind raced for when he would have had the opportunity to do that. The only memory that came to mind was when we had kissed. Or more like when I had kissed him.

I wonder if he felt awkward about that…

“Chrissie gave me your car keys and asked me to drive you home.” He explained, gripping the keys tighter as he gently guided me towards where my car was sitting, standing out from the rest because of its teal colour.

That made sense, I realised as the memory of me handing my best friend the keys to my car when she demanded them claiming I was too wasted to be trusted with them came back to me.

I relaxed giving Derek a lopsided grin. “That makes sense.” I nodded my head, earning myself a dizzy spell. I stumbled over my high-heeled shoes. My arm instinctively stretched out to hold onto Derek to steady myself.

His arms slid around my waist as he struggled to hold me upright as I clung to him. We narrowly avoided both toppling down, as he held me to him.

I let out a relieved chuckle, which he copied before pulling away. It was probably a good thing that he did. Being so close to him was doing funny things to me, and I couldn’t help the fact that a part of me wanted to pull him in for another kiss.

I quickly shook my head, trying to banish the thought from my mind.

God I must be completely shitfaced.

I barely registered the fact that he had now unlocked the car and was now helping me into it. All the while my mind was playing out what reaction he might have if I kissed him again.

Maybe he’d push me away. Maybe he’d freak out. Or maybe he’d kiss me back…

I let out a frustrated sigh. Why was I even thinking about it?

I let out a shaky laugh to myself, trying to calm my nerves but only gaining in earning a weird look from Derek who was between keeping a safe eye on the road before him and shooting me brief concerned glances from the corner of his eyes.

I sighed loudly banging my head back on the headrest. “So…” I opened for conversation. “Was your argument with Makayla that bad?” I asked, brining up my hands to rub at my temples.

Surprise flitted across his expression as he shot me another look, before his cheeks flushed a subtle tint of red. “You saw that huh?” He asked his fingers tightening on the steering wheel, making me feel guilty for even bringing it up.

“Yeah.” I admitted quietly. “She looked pretty pissed, but you don’t have to talk about it to me if you don’t want to. I was prying.” I grimaced, hating that I had done it in the first place.