This Time Tomorrow: Chapter Three

“This time tomorrow, Mr. Reinheart will have discovered the secret to fun learning,” I whispered, careful to make it look like I was riveted to every word coming out of our teacher’s mouth.

The day seemed to be dragging on to infinity; lunch was thirty minutes away but it felt like I was going to starve to death before the bell rang.  

“This time tomorrow, I might just skip chemistry altogether,” Odynn grumbled, resting his head on one of his arms.  He let out a yawn and scrubbed his free hand down his face.

I scoffed at him.  “This time tomorrow, I’ll chain your butt to the desk so you can’t escape.”

“This time tomorrow, you’ll discover what it looks like when someone dies of boredom.”

Something occurred to me, and I smiled in triumph.  “This time tomorrow, we won’t even be here, fool.  It will be Saturday.”

That seemed to brighten his mood; an excited gleam sprang into his eyes.

“This time tomorrow, -”

“Miss Parker?”

I blinked as I realised Mr. Reinheart was speaking to me, apparently waiting for some kind of response.  The dozen kids in class that were paying attention were also looking at me expectantly.

“Um, sorry?” I said, willing my cheeks not to redden.  Too late.  I could feel the heat creeping across my face.  Beside me, Odynn was smothering a grin behind his hand.  I glowered at him for a split second before Mr. Reinheart repeated his question.

“The equation on the board is unbalanced.  How do we rewrite it to balance it?”

I peered over his left shoulder at the equation on the board.

SnO2 + H2 → Sn + H2O

What in God’s name was that?  I had no idea, and going by the disappointed frown already etched into Mr. Reinheart’s face, it was obvious he didn’t think I knew either.

“Um…”

Odynn bumped me as he sat up straighter, and when I turned to glare at him I noticed he’d slid his notebook towards me.  Written in the margin was the answer.  Or, well, it was his answer.  Didn’t necessarily mean it was right.

I bristled at his intent.  Alex Parker did not cheat, dammit!  He rolled his eyes at me surreptitiously; he knew how I felt about cheating and taking credit for things I hadn‘t done.

“Say it,” he murmured.  “I’ll show you the working later.”

“Miss Parker?”  Mr. Reinheart pressed, the barest hint of impatience in his voice.

Laden with guilt, I read the answer from Odynn’s notebook.  

“SnO2 + 2 H2 → Sn + 2 H2O,” I said, having absolutely no idea what it was I was saying.

Mr. Reinheart’s brow shot up in surprise.  “Er, yes, that’s correct.  Mr. Salinger, care to come up to the board and indicate the physical states of the reactants and products?”

I slunk down in my chair, annoyed at myself for succumbing to the easy way out, and annoyed at Odynn for readily supplying it to me.

“This is all your fault,” I hissed at him under my breath as Wade Salinger leapt out of his seat to comply.

Unperturbed, Odynn yawned again and went back to doodling all over his notebook.  “I’m not the one who has no idea what she just said,” he pointed out.  “I can talk all I want.  It’s your own fault for indulging me and getting yourself into trouble.”