A New Reign

Prologue

He was like a shadow. Quietly, he had crossed the outer fields. Swiftly, he had eliminated the wall guards and infiltrated the castle borders. The night's darkness cast a shadow on his already concealed appearance and to any observer, he would seem to be nothing more than the shift of a branch, or the rustle of a brush creature.

He crossed the cobble-stoned ground, keeping in mind to take precaution against the littered stones the paved courtyards were home to. Pausing and kneeling behind a stone bench, he looked around the area  through his cloaked eyes. In the distance, he spotted the castle's grand entryway and curled his lips in slight distaste at the number of guards standing alert at the entrance.

"The king's bedroom is surely in the main building," he thought disdainfully, " But how shall I get in?" After a minutes pondering he laughed under his breath. "Oh, you are sure to delay my return  with your silly precautions."

He surveyed the area once more before realizing there was no way he could infiltrate using the castle's front. Sadly, he was outnumbered and didn't want to risk the chance of unnecessary yelling. 

He clung his cloak tighter around his body and carefully made his way to the back of the castle, keeping in mind to stay a small distance away. A number of windows were littered on the back wall. A small dingy ground window's lights were on, illuminating the pots and pans kept in the royal kitchen. The large number of windows scattered on the wall were all of a small and dingy nature, all except for one.

This one was home to a spacious balcony and decorated with golden curtains that glimmered even in the night's darkness. This kind of window would be for the room for only someone of superior ranking. A king's room, and a king that was very proud of his title. He laughed under his breath. "Your arrogance is the reason of your downfall," he thought, amused.

A single boy was on watch underneath, but even from afar the man could conclude that the boy was fairly young and inexperienced, with his shield set feet away from his chair and his weapon set on the ground beside him. The man smiled grimly and set forth towards the bottom of the wall.

Upon closer inspection, the boy looked to be on the verge of a deep sleep, with his eyes opening for a second and then closing for numerous minutes. The man in the shadows swiftly griped a pocket knife from out of his waist sheath and before the boy could even open his eyes, plunged it into his chest.

The man latched his feet and hands onto the wall as he heaved himself up, scouring the wall as quickly as he had reached it. Coming to the large balcony, he climbed into the spacious area and turned to view the open balcony windows.

The curtains were still in the late summer air and the man made no sound at all as he walked into the king's grand bedroom. A large bed sat in the middle of the adorned chamber, and an equally massive man lied in the blanket's depths. The king's almost silent snoring could be heard to the man's keen ears, and the man in the shadows paused for a second as he watched the blankets rise up and down with each of the king's large breaths.

The man made his way to the edge of the bed, grabbing  hold of another dagger in the process. The man's eyes gazed upon the king's chubby face with a sinister smile. He raised the dagger above the king's head slowly but with not a moment's hesitation. "Here's to a man that was as lousy of a king as a father," he whispered bitterly.

With that, the man brought the knife down upon his father's massive chest with no delay. Seeing the dagger embedded in the  king's chest caused a dark smile to surface on the man's face.

"And a new reign begins," he whispered.

If only it would be that easy.

_________________________________________________________

Hi! Welcome to my new story. It's been a LONG time since I have posted anything on Wattpad, but I watched the Game of Thrones season 3 premiere today.

I just recently found out about Game of Thrones, but I am completely in love with the whole thing and thought, "It would be super fun to make my own story like that."

Now, bear in mind that this story will have definite similarities to Game of Thrones if I decide to continue it, but I just wanted to try this out for a bit of fun.

Please comment and vote if you enjoyed it! :)

P.S. Dedication to seanarturo for the wonderful cover  :)