Prologue.

Prologue:

When seven-year-old Jesse Karsh looked at nine-year-old Kaden Brooks across the picnic table her pale cheeks couldn't help heating up. Even as a seven year old, she thought he was pretty cute. But she couldn't stop thinking about the cooties boys have. Yuck.

Kaden turned his head from watching his mom spoon feed his baby sister, Angela, to see the girl from across the table that had her eyes on him. He thought she was really pretty and had the most beautiful blue eyes he had ever seen. But he would save the embarrassment of ever telling her she's pretty.

For a nine year old boy like himself, all the girls except his mom were just plain gross!

Jesse's head snapped down when he turned to look at her. Her little cheeks blushed more in embarrassment. He caught her staring! Goodness, he must think she's such a little loser now.

"Why don't you guys go play?" Jesse's mother, Sarah, suggest when she notice both of them looking bored since the food aren't finished yet.

The Karsh and Brooks family became friends when the Brooks moved in three days ago. The Karsh family thought it'll be nice to have a picnic in their large back yard and get to know each other.

Jesse shrugged, "I'm okay, Mommy," she said, not wanting to play with the boy who made her feel so warmed up inside. She twirled her brown hair around on her index finger.

Jesse's father, John, patted her back, "Come on, Jess, be friendly. I know you're shy, but this will be a good way for you and Kaden to be friends." he said chuckling.

Jesse cheeks felt like they were on her fire because of her daddy's comment and she quickly shook her head. "No." she stubbornly said and got up and ran over to the swing set her daddy built for her once. She got on and just sat there, looking down at the grass.

Kaden watched the little girl, Jesse, just sitting there on the swing and stare at the ground. He felt hurt that she didn't want to play with him. Sure, girls are gross, but he thought it'll be nice to have a friend at least until school starts. He didn't want to be known as the boy who was friends with a first grader that was also a girl. How lame.

But Kaden had the urge to get up and go over to the little girl. He felt his father, Joe's, eyes on his back in confusion as he watched Kaden stride over to the little girl.

Kaden looked down at the girl and furrowed his eyebrows, "You don't want to play?" he asked. Jesse head snapped up to the little boy.

"Huh?" she questioned, a little confused. "No, you're a boy!" she said, sticking her tongue out at him. "You're gross."

Kaden pursed his lips down at the stubborn girl and snorted, "Well, you're a girl! But," he said, walking behind her and started pushing her back, making her swing on the swing set, "I still want to play, so deal."

Jesse breathed out her nose angrily, mad that the boy didn't listen to her, but she let Kaden swing her until she was so high up, she squealed. "Okay! No more! Make it stop!" she yelled. She had always been afraid of heights.

But Kaden thought it was funny and kept pushing her to make her go higher. "Come on, it's fun! Let's make you go higher!"

Jesse squeezed her eyes shut, hating the boy even more. "Daddy!" that made Kaden stops the swing.

"Yeesh! You're such a baby!" he said and stepped in front of her.

Jesse's eyes were watered up, but she refused to cry in front of the boy who her mad. She jumped off from the swing set and crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm not a baby! I told you to stop and you didn't listen!" she said lashing her arm out and pointed at him accusingly.