Chapter 3: The Ringleader

Chapter 3:

We were all terrified, and I do mean absolutely terrified. This was a walk through haunted house, a simple Halloween attraction, were they really allowed to drag you away like that? Was that even legal? I sure didn't think so, because we certainly didn't sign any waivers when we got here.

We rounded the corner, expecting to see Brianna sitting there safe, but she and the two headed clown were gone. How was that possible? We were only two seconds behind them!

Jacob let out a sad little whimper, and usually I would have laughed, but considering the disturbing circumstances I didn't feel it was the right time.

"Jake, it's okay, I mean this is all fake right so they couldn't have gone far," Lily tried to assure him, rubbing his broad shoulder in a comforting manner. Jacob leaned slumped against the dirty wall before he slid down to the floor, placing his head in his large hands.

"Maybe one of us should go with him to look," Nick offered, looking down at Jacob with concern. I shook my head rapidly.

"No, we can't split up," I demanded, chewing my plump bottom lip a little anxiously; in ever horror movie I had ever watched, things always spirled downward when the people split up. Nick looked back up at me, a determined expression on his handsome face that I had seen many times before.

"We have too."

"No."

"Emily..."

"No!" I said a little harshly, making sure my face was stern, "Nick we can't, I don't know what the fuck is going on, but I know they can't do that, so something is wrong. We can't split up now."

Hayley kicked the splintered floor a little, looking very uncomfortable. Nick just nodded weakly in understanding, knowing that there was no use in arguing with me, because I could be very stubborn.

I was suddenly very tired, I just wanted to find Brianna and get the hell out of this creepy haunted house. We hadn't been there long but I was already over it, and I could see on my friend's familiar faces that they were too.

"Let's go find her," Jacob mumbled, standing up slowly and taking a couple shaky steps forward. We reluctantly followed, staying uncomfortably silent the whole way. I felt a cold hand gingerly touch my shoulder, so I placed my own delicate hand on top of it. I had assumed it was Tristen or even Hayley, but when I glanced to my left, there he was, with both of his hands shoved in his pockets.

A small lump formed in the back of my throat, and I stopped walking abruptly. Slowly I turned my head to see who, or what was currently touching me.

There, stood an unfamiliar man with beautiful brown eyes and long, straight brown hair. His pale skin seemed to glow in the almost blackness of the room, and his sinister smirk was heart stopping, but not in a good way.

"Helloooo," he said, stretching out the word in a sing song tone. I swallowed the lump in my throat and blinked a couple times, before inevitably I let out a scared scream. The man laughed coldy, lifting his rough hand from my shoulder and grabbing my thin wrist not so gently.

I screamed again, and this time I heard muffled voices. My friends had actually gotten pretty far while I was stuck standing there, but they returned back in no time.

"Emily?" Lily asked, her voice laced with concern. Her bright eyes widened in fear, when she quickly realized what the problem was.

"Who are you?" Hayley asked shakily. The man smiled again in response, then he tipped his black top hat. The white silk gloves he was wearing added to his whole look. He had on a white dress shirt, a black vest, a black bow tie and stylish black pants. A long red jacket finished the unconventional look, and it was pretty obvious to me what he was.