Chapter 3

Dedicated to ColmPatrick for being a genuinely awesome guy, and a really talented writer :D Go check out his story 'The Taming of Frankie Cocozza' [BoyxBoy] It's really good :D

The character called Emmie later on in the chapter was created by MusicIsMySoul, and my friend MollyFry helped out with the ideas for her back story. These two have been a great help getting me to write again :) And sorry for such a late upload.

Chapter 3 (Callie's POV)

Wednesday

Time flies. Before I knew it, another school day had past and I was sat in front of the mirror getting ready for my date with Chase. I was nervous, more so then any of the other dates I had ever been on. No secrets, no lies. I had to tell him. It was going to be hard, but this wasn't something that I could hide from him, even if I tried. I've put him through so much already though, and I don't want to put him through that again.

Why was this so hard?

I had never asked for this, but that hasn't stopped it from happening. I just couldn't seem to beat the cancer, no matter how hard I tried. The cancer had already won, and in a way, I didn't mind. My time had come. I had no more energy left in me to keep on fighting. And besides, nobody likes taking part when they know it's a losing battle. I just wanted to enjoy the little time I had left.

I focused my attention back on the mirror, staring at my face like I was seeing it for the first time. My bright blue eyes were wide open, framed by a subtle line of black from my favourite eyeliner. My layered brown hair fell to the bottom of my shoulder blades, my fringe just catching the corner of one of my eyes. I looked like the same person as I had been before the cancer, just a few years older, except my tanned skin was slightly paler, and there was an emptiness deep in my eyes.

I was dressed casually, we were only going to the park - nothing to fancy. My ripped light blue jeans were paired with my best, off the shoulder MCR top. Which of course, I had matched with my black knee high converse.

I smiled, remembering when Chase had got me the t-shirt for my 15th birthday. He knew how much I loved the band - they were my idols. He told me that, seen as everyone called them life-savers, maybe the shirt would act as a good luck charm, to help save mine. The sweet memory suddenly made me feel sick to the stomach.

I grabbed my phone off the side, and hurriedly scrolled down the list of names, until I found the one that belonged to Indie. She answered on the third ring. "Hello?" She sounded generally happy to hear me, although a little bit confused. "Indie, I can't do it." The words came out in a rush after several seconds silence. "Callie . . ." She began in a sad voice. She knew about my date - I'd told her at the hospital the day I had found out that it was back. That I was going to die. "No, I can't! I can't do that to him again. This has been going on for too long, how am i suppose to tell him that it's not all over yet? That it's back." I was on the verge of tears. Glancing up at the clock, I saw that it was 6:15; five minutes and Chase would be here.

I turned my head to gaze out of the window, when I heard her reply flood through the phone. "Callie, listen to me. I've had this illness for four years, and I still don't know exactly what it is.And I can promise you that it's better to know. He would rather know whats going on, than not see it coming. Giving him false hope by saying everything's fine will only make it worse in the long run." Although I hated to admit it, she was right.

Outside the window, I could see the leaves that had fallen from the tree's, leaving golden puddles across the ground. There was a little girl. She was running around in a little hat and matching gloves, her scarf trailing behind her in the breeze. Although I couldn't hear them, her little squeals of delight could be seen in the air; a little cloud of mist escaping her pale lips, as she splashed through the amber puddles. Her mum was following closely behind, a look of fondness across her features.