The Bet *Real or Fake

Happy Reading! (:

Chapter 39 Part 2 *Real or Fake*

~Sophia

A note falls from my locker when I open it. Grabbing the piece of paper, I smooth it and read the words written on it.

           Meet me at the parking lot. ASAP.

           -D

D?

It’s from Draky, no doubt. What does he want? Why does he want me to meet him at the parking lot? Why not wait for me here?

If he wants to talk to me, he should be the one to come, not the other way around. He is the one who needs something. Besides, if I go outside, I’ll be late in my first class.

However, there’s a voice in the back of my head that whispers, “He’ll wait for you there.”

I just ignore it and try not to think about it too much. It’s just my subconscious mind trying to guilt me.

The ringing of the bell startles me. And that’s make my decision final. I hurry and go to my first class, the little note folded in my hand.

It’s in my second class when I receive a message from Draky.

“Where are you?”

“In class,” I type quickly.

I don’t want to get caught using my cellphone  while there is a discussion going on.

“I waited for you. Why didn’t you show up?”

“I was late. I forgot to text you.”

I don’t want to say sorry to him even though I feel guilty for making him wait.

“Please keep your cell phone,” our professor says, looking pointedly at me, “if you don’t want me to take it to the principal’s office.”

My classmates turn their heads to look and smile at me sheepishly. Embarassed at getting caught, I quickly put my phone in my bag, not reading Draky’s new message.

I try to concentrate but I end up thinking what he wants from me. So far, he’s the only one who texted me and called me. Yes, no one greets me a happy birthday yet.

I pretend not to care but in reality it hurts. I want to cut class and go home. Which home, I don’t know.

I feel bored. I don't even bother trying to listen to the discussion because I already understand it and I can read the lesson back home.

Fortunately, time passes quickly.

Before I know it, I’m sitting on our usual table in the cafeteria across from Driana.

She’s happily eating her lasagna as she tells me about the first half of her day.

I stare at her as she talks, thinking, Really? How come you forget it?

And then I feel guilty for thinking about that because Driana has a life and she’s not responsible to greet me a happy birthday.

“Hey,” she says after a moment, “anything wrong? Why aren’t you eating your food?”

“I’m not hungry,” I say.

I don’t have an appetite. I want to go to the clinic and ask permission if I can go home now. A silly excuse, I know.