Chapter Twenty-Eight ✓

Emberly's POV:

Shit, I am so screwed. No, in fact, I'm dead today. I thought again and again whilst honking furiously.

When Cherry and I decided to stay up till four in the morning to keep up on the Kardashian's, I instantly knew it wasn't the wisest decision ever. I barely got time to sleep and to make the scenario worse my alarm clock hadn't worked due to low batteries. Talk about bad luck!

Cherry told me I could sleep but for us it was kind of a tradition not to so I couldn't really break that. Each year on our birthday, we had this thing to celebrate our birthday till morning. We always ended up staying awake and talking about anything that came to our mind. The weird part was that we never got bored.

Cherry stayed at my place and we spent all night opening her gifts and laughing at the unbelievable stories she told about people she knew. I didn't regret staying up but I did regret waking up late. God knows how I got up and got ready. Without even looking at the time I knew I was 10 minutes late and the traffic wasn't helping my case at all.

Without killing anyone I made it to the building, safely if I may add. I could see Ella in the reception giving me the stink eye.

"You are late." She said bluntly and I gritted my teeth.

"Thanks for pointing out the obvious." I muttered.

"It's just a matter of time before he fires you." She sang and went back to typing.

I wondered what was wrong with her. From the corner of my eye, I saw Lauren giving me an apologetic smile. Oh poor girl, she must have been thinking Ella's words had stung me. Wait till you had worked with Arran, who I would like to point out, practically called me a bitch once. After swiping my card, I grabbed my organiser from the desk and strode toward the lift. To get inside the rooms, you had to use your ID cards but the reception was at the side with at least 7-8 people working. If you were a guest you would be given a temporary card by one of the receptionists. Arran was damn protective about his building and he made sure no harm could be done. I didn't blame him; it was his life in this building.

As usual, I made coffee and with a knock, I entered to find Arran typing furiously. He glanced at me for a second and then continued typing. I checked my watch and blanched noticing I was 20 minutes late.

Shit.

"Oh thank you for finally gracing us with your presence Miss Rae." He said sarcastically.

"I-..." I opened my mouth to apologise. I know I did that a lot but hey it was not my fault I was a damsel in distress.

"Just to let you know, you have some documents to fax... Mr. Hamilton's emails need to be replied to by noon and you need to call Gregg & Co and renew their policies. Hmm, what else? Oh yeah, I think you should also check on your boss. I wonder why? I mean you are, after all, only his assistant right?" He mocked me and I blushed in embarrassment.