Chapter 4- Engagement (2)

*******************************************

CHAPTER 4- ENGAGEMENT (Part 2)

******************************************

October 6,2003
The Great Hall
Andrade Shipping International Headquarters
Athens, Greece

Nikos took Cassia's hand and placed it on the crook of his elbow. Carefully, he led her towards the high table that was reserved for the two of them and their families. Once she was seated comfortably, he cast a sideways glance at her.

She twisted one side of her dress in her fingers as she kept on casting nervous glances towards the crowd. She scanned the people and her eyes landed on her grandfather. Nikos was very much surprised when her gaze did not consist of love and devotion.

Her gaze held hatred, sheer and utter hatred.

But before he could comment on it or ask why, someone clapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and met his friend Antonio's smiling face.

"Won't you introduce me to your beautiful fiancé?" Antonio drawled.

"Of course." Nikos grinned. He stood up and placed his arm on Antonio's shoulder.

"Antonio this is Cassia, my soon-to-be bride. And Cassia, this is Antonio...the greatest pest of my life."

Antonio chuckled. "Nice to meet you, Cassia. And contrary to what Nikos said, he is the pest in my life."

The moment that Antonio arrived, a great change took place in Nikos. He smiled a real smile for the first time tonight. After Nikos introduced Antonio to her, the two started to make jokes and Cassia also found herself smiling.

"Did you know there was a time that Nikos was not able to take an exam because he got so roaring drunk?" Antonio said in his thick Spanish accent then chuckled. Cassia giggled for his voice reminded her so much of Antonio Banderas.

"It was all his fault! He was so heartbroken then that he needed some company to drink. And I went! The next thing I knew, it was midday already and the exams were done."

"Ahh...but my friend, I was able to make it and you were not," Antonio taunted.

"I will never forget that day, compadre. You don't know what I had to do just to be able to pass that semester," Nikos laughed.

Antonio glanced at Cassia and took in the warmth in her face. She stared at Nikos like he was some sort of hero. Also, he noticed the way she glanced nervously towards her grandfather as though she was waiting for some sort of tragedy to strike.

"Cassia...I apologize but I would have to borrow Nikos for a few minutes, alright? Business talks," Antonio asked.

"Sure. Go ahead," Cassia replied as she took her seat.

Antonio pulled Nikos to one corner of the room and both of them sat.

"I heard you trashed your office earlier," Antonio remarked casually.

"Yes. Costas got to me," Nikos replied in a hate-filled voice.

"What happened?"

"It seems that I was bought, my friend. Cassia liked me because I saved her from being humiliated one night. Then she decided she's got to have me. She then told her dear grandfather about it. And Costas, being the ever doting grandfather, decided to offer the merger instead of thoroughly destroying Demakis International."