Epilogue

The cold stung my cheeks, and I breathed into my half-frozen hands. People weren't lying when they said New York was freezing round Christmas Time. I nudged against the apartment entrance with my shoulder, taking a sigh of relief when the warm air surrounded me.

I jogged up the stairs, running my hand through my dark hair absent-mindedly. At Christmas, I Always felt a faint tug in my stomach for a family I couldn't remember. I guessed that was why I visited their graves each year round that time and put three little gifts by their graves. I knew it was dumb, but something made me do it each year. I would see a cashmere scarf, buy it for my mom and wrap it carefully. I had bought my brother a collection of little toy cars, and my dad had more ties in death than he'd ever had alive.

Someone would clear the presents from the graves after a while, of course. But it was still my little tradition, a little gift. I'd spent most of my life at Christmas being lonely, not having my own family to celebrate with. Foster families tried their best to include me, but it didn't really work. I wasn't part of a family, I was Ace Ford and I was alone.

But when I opened the apartment door and I was welcomed by a wave of laughter, I realized that that was a lie. Serena was sitting on the coffee table, tinsel entangled through her long wavy hair. Cam was on his Phone, snapping pictures of her whilst Zac photobombed like an expert in the background. I had a family. They were just immature kids coming out of their teenage years with reluctance.

A smile tugged up the corners of my lips and Serena turned round as the door slammed behind me. Her eyes lit up and something stirred in my stomach, a deep, desperate affection for her. She looked at me as if I had invented the world. It was so strange to realize that I was loved, especially by someone like her.

She jumped off the table, although typically, she tripped over a misplaced present and ended up spiraling across the room, landing against me. I stumbled back a little, wrapping my hands around her waist to stop her from falling. She blinked up at me, a laugh erupting from her chest, closing her eyes, effortlessly beautiful.

"Graceful," I said drily.

"Don't listen to him, you could totally be a ballet-dancer," Zac shouted, grinning.

Serena smiled at her, "don't worry, I know he's just jealous."

"Jealous? Oh yeah definitely, who wouldn't want to look like they're tripping balls when they attempt to walk across the room, and fail epically," I pointed out, snorting.

She gave me a loving smile and then smacked me in the stomach. I doubled over, although I made it look like it hurt more than it actually did to make her feel good. She let out a whoop as I fake-groaned, and Zac ran over, tackling her and throwing her over his shoulder.

"What shall we do with this violent creature?" he called out to Cam and I.

"In the dungeons she goes!" Cam shouted loudly.

Serena screamed, smacking Zac's broad back, but she was giggling too. Zac ran, effortlessly carrying her (he was freakishly strong), and disappearing into his room. Cam and I followed and I vaguely wondered when I ought to put a stop to it, a smile still in place.