Shattered Violets~43

43

Walking past Damon’s office I heard him on the phone.

“What do you mean they’re not public records? Aren’t wills and trust supposed to be?”

Silence filled the hall before he spoke again.

“Well damn it Jim, what the fuck am I paying you for. Get me a copy of those records, no matter the cost. Do I make myself clear!”

Once again, there was silence, until I heard the phone slam down on the desk.  The sudden noise causing me to jump and bit my lip, as I turned back the way I had come. It seemed that Damon was on a mission to find out about the will my mother left, which meant I could start working on next phase to get out of his clutches

Heading up to my room, I went straight to the drawer holding the little triangle shaped vile of pink liquid. Picking it up, I held it to the light one more time looking at it

“So you’re going to free me from this prison?” I told it, before placing it the pockets of my jeans, along with a single cotton swab. “Hopefully he’s right about this, because if it doesn’t work…” I broke off, not wanting to finish the sentence.

Once again back in the kitchen, I pulled out three wine glasses just as I did every night. Taking them into the dining room with the other dishes, I began setting the table.  First, placing the large plat on top of the linen placemat, I placed a smaller one on top. Next, I positioned the forks, spoons, and knifes around the plates; more silverware than we’d actually need for the simple meal I was making. Finally, it was time to place the wine glasses on the table. I put Damon’s and mine where I always did, it was my fathers that I would be paying extra attention too.  

Placing the glass in front of me, I took out the bottle and the cotton swab.  Pulling out the cork stopper, I dipped the swab into the pink liquid, saturating it.  Holding the glass in my hand, I began to slowly coat the inside of the glass with the liquid.  Watching it dry, I placed the glass in front of his place settings.

Quickly, I re-corked the little vile and slid it in my pants pocket.  Holding the swab in my hand, I wrapped it up in a cocktail napkin from the buffet.  As I held my breath, I walked back into the kitchen and into the half-bathroom on the other side of it, right before the cellar door entrance. Closing the door behind me, I opened up the cocktail napkin and dropped the swab into the toilet. Pulling the handle, I flushed the swab. I watched it swirl around the bowl before disappearing.  After doing the same thing with the napkin, I flushed the toilet four more times to make sure neither item would come back up. Closing the lid, I washed my hands and took a seat.

With my head in my hands, I thought about what I had just started. There was no going back now. I had put everything in motion to make sure both Damon and my father would be out of my life for good. As long as Jose was correct, the wine would activate the poison, allowing it to enter into my father’s system.  A little dab a day will cause his system to fail, causing him to have a stroke and paralyze him; leaving him at my mercy.  If I added too much, it would kill him instantly, which wouldn’t be that bad either. I could always pin his death on Damon, since his company was the one that manufactured the chemicals within the poison. The ironic part is he sold those same chemicals to the government as an agent for chemical warfare. The same division I found out that my father would possess once I produced an heir, making Damon and his agreement complete.

To be honest at first I just wanted to dump the vile into his drink and be done with him, but the more and more it thought about it the more I realized death was too good for him. He needed to lie in the bed he had made. When the time was right, he’d know it was me that put him there.

I don’t know how long I had been sitting there, but I realized it was almost six and I needed to head upstairs to get reading for dinner.  Hilda was in the kitchen, pulling out the roast I had put in after lunch.

“Vivian, are you okay. You’ve been in there a long time?” Hilda asked me.

“What?” I replied a little startled.

“You’ve been in the powder room for a long time. Are you doing okay?” She repeated.

Pulling myself out of my own thoughts, “Yes, I’m fine thank you. Just a little bit of a tummy ache.” I lied.

“Is there anything you need?” Hilda asked.

“Can you place a bottle of ginger-ale on the buffet, along with a bottle of Damon’s wine?” I asked her. “I’m sure his wine would pair wonderfully with the roast and the ginger-ale will help settle my stomach.” I added.

“I’d be happy too, Vivian.  Just let me know if you need anything else.”

“Just please set the food on the buffet as usual. I’ll finish serving from there.” I told her as left her. 

Back in my rooms, I placed the little vile back in my vanity drawers, but not before making sure the lid was on tight. Afterwards, I finished cleaning up and got dressed for dinner. I couldn’t help myself, but I was filled with excitement. Hopefully, I could remain cool as I watch my father drink from the tainted glass. I didn’t know how many days it would take for the poison to take effect, so every night would be a waiting game.