33: Unlicensed Medical Malpractice

A/N: Please note that this is my second upload in two days, so make sure you read the chapter before this. There are a few important developments you won't want to miss.

And, this one is looooong. Grab your snacks and take a potty break before you start. lol Also, it's the wee hours of the morning here, and I'm pretty sure there are some parts that don't make sense. Once again, just tell me where I'm talking crazy, and I'll fix it.

“Oh that’s right. I forgot. We have a criminal in our midst. I would be scared if he weren’t so useless. Just look how well his little scheme turned out. Well, I guess one thing worked for him. He got the resident ho-bag to play doctor on him, which is probably what he wanted anyway. Way to pick ‘em Jade. Real classy.”

“Get out,” Abe said in a low voice from the back.

I no longer doubted what Abe’s answer would be if he was forced to choose between me, and his undeserving best friend. I never should have questioned that.

Silence as thick as butter filled the van for at least five seconds before Anton lunged from his seat. He crossed the two foot distance between him and Landon in a flash. But once he got there, it was apparent that he had used up all his balance, and strength with the two foot commute.

Chapter 33: Unlicensed Medical Malpractice

The good news was that Anton was dead set on defending my honor…or his. I wasn’t sure which. I preferred to think of it as a romantic gesture. The bad news was that Anton’s punches lacked the accuracy needed to do any real damage. And with Landon’s years of Judo training, plus his non brain damaged status, he had no trouble blocking Anton.

However, fighting in the confines of the passenger seat of a minivan was not part of our Judo training. I heard an equal amount of grunting coming from Landon as I heard from Anton. Their various body parts banged into the dashboard, the window, the armrest, and the floor, rocking the van to and fro.

Within seconds I’d had enough. Landon pounded his fist into Anton’s chest—he would have hit his face if Anton hadn’t moved at the last second—and he pulled his arm back for another go at his face. But before he brought his fist down I jumped between the two, blocking Landon with my forearm. Ant was sandwiched between me and the seat. Landon crowded the space between me and the ceiling, which didn’t leave much room for fighting.

But I didn’t need much space to beat the crap out of Landon.

At that moment I was feeling the same need burning through my insides that was usually reserved for Marv, and Olegushka, the need to maim and destroy. But this time, it came from seeing Landon attack the guy who had been my only stabilizing force through the most hellish three weeks of my life. Anton was the one who saved Abe’s life, when I had failed. Anton was the one who orchestrated our escape. Anton was the one who made me feel warm and melty inside.   

In a flash I sank my fist into Landon’s axillary nerve, paralyzing his right arm from the armpit down, followed by my other fist in his carotid sinus, numbing the left side of his upper body. And then I followed up with a chain punch to his solar plexus.

“That’s an all new low, Landon, fighting a guy with a head wound,” I said through clenched teeth, “You want a piece of this?” I continued the barrage to his midsection, “Well, this is the only piece you will ever get of this skank.”