Keeping her close

Start from the beginning

"He's your horse?" Balin said glaring at the horse.

"Yes."

"I'll get him..." The horse stomped and the warrior backed up.

"Midnight...." she sighed. "He isn't usually like this, but he hasn't been able to ride in two weeks."

"We've only been a here a week. Though I'm sure it seems longer that you were in the tower," Adler commented.

"That may be Your Highness, but I've been confined to the castle grounds for two weeks," She informed them. "Duncan had me here for a month, but it was the last two weeks I haven't been permitted to leave the grounds at all." Looking over at Prince Lothar she said, "It might be best if I saddled him. He'll calm down but he's a bit...testy shall we say?"

"Gideon goes with you," Lothar told her.

The blonde woman nodded and looked at the horse. "I'll be right back."

"You're not taking him with you?" Garrick questioned.

"Midnight isn't fond of stables. He doesn't go in unless it's really stormy." With that the woman walked away.

"Great another horse to fight with if it rains," a warrior said less than thrilled. "I get the feeling both your horses will be just as temperamental as the other." Lothar smirked but didn't comment.

A moment later Valeria returned and put a blanket and saddle on Midnight. They were impressed by how quick she was at saddling the horse. She took the set of reigns and went to the horse's mouth. Midnight promptly stomped his foot at the sight of the reigns.

"Midnight I'm sorry, but I have no idea what kind of terrain we will encounter and after our last outing I'm not going to take a chance." The horse gave a sound that almost sounded like a sign and opened its mouth. "Thank you." In moments she was done.

"Ares," Lothar called. Instantly the black horse came to his side. The prince was impressed to see the woman's horse not move. Even his father's horse moved when Ares neared it. The prince didn't hesitate, and quickly swung up on his horse. Taking it as her cue, Valeria did the same.

Within moments everyone leaving was on their horses. Lothar directed his horse to the front of the line and Valeria followed. She took a position behind Prince Lothar and his guards. Prince Garrick was next to her on her right; another soldier was on her left.

"We go."

Valeria was quiet as they rode out of the kingdom. The woman was glad she was at the front so that she would not have to hear the sobs of some of the other prisoners. Still, Valeria knew they were scared even if she couldn't hear them. Most of the prisoners they were taking with them were nobles and used to being waited on. They knew nothing else. Valeria did not know exactly what awaited her either. The prince had not told her of his plans for her, nor given her a hint.

**

They had ridden for several hours before the heir decided they would stop for the night. Valeria got down and immediately tended to her horse. She removed Midnights saddle and reigns before leading him over to the stream. Seeing there were other horses needing to be tended to, she left Midnight there and began tending to the warriors horses.

"Do you want that out Ares?" she offered. The black horse looked at her for a moment and then, feeling the reigns being taken off, allowed her to remove his bit. "That's better now isn't it?"

Without a second thought she undid the horse's saddle and removed it as well.

"Does Prince Lothar not remove his saddle and bit?" she asked seeing more than one astonished face.