Letter number 8

Seven years.

It have been seven years since he left. Seven years since he told me he'd be back. Seven years since I saw him. Seven years since he joined the Army.

Seven letters. He only wrote me seven letters, no more. He told me he would write every day. But I only got seven letters.

Two words. Two words he told me before he left. Two words he ended all his letters with. Two words; Forgive me

He told me that he would be back soon. Only 4 years in the army and then he would come back. But he hasn't shown up. I have waited for him. And I will wait forever.

I loved him once, but that was seven years ago. Not only has he broken his promises but he has also broken my heart. He didn't tell me he loved me, but I hoped he did.

Now I'm beginning to doubt that he'll ever show his face again. I doubt that he ever did love me. That he will ever come back to me. 

I wish he would. I wish he would have come back after those four years, but he didn't.

Now after seven years I get a letter. A letter from him. Letter number 8

'My beloved Anna.

I wish I could have sent you a letter sooner. But we haven't been allowed to contact any of our families. I am truly sorry for not keeping my promise about coming home. I wish I could come home now, but I can not.

The reason I was alowed to write you this one letter is because I am dying. I have been laying in the hospital for three months, and now it is time for me to go.

My dear. I wish to tell you something that I should have told you before. I wish to tell you that I love you.

I had planned on coming home and marry you, and start a family with you. But I wasn't allowed to go home.

My apologies for leaving, and my apologies for confessing my love in a letter. I wish I could sit with you in the grass watching the sun set above us and tell you I love you, and then I could kiss you and hold you, and tell you that I will never leave you. But I can't.

When you get this letter, I will be gone. But you must know that even though I'm gone, my love for you will never die.

You must promise me to move on Anna, don't dwell on the past. I will see you again when you join me in heaven.

Until then my Anna, my dear, my love.

Forgive me. 

William.'

This time I was the one to break a promise. I couldn't move on. I had waited for seven years. That was the only thing I knew how to do, so I continued to wait.

I read the letter every day now, and I am still waiting. I sit on the porch and look out on the old road and wait for him. I don't move out of my spot, afraid to miss him.

I know he won't come back, but I have to hope. Hope is the only thing that keeps me from collapsing. The only thing that keeps me strong.