Chapter 2

[Mariel's POV]

~&~

I watched as another tree passed by my window in a blur, the colours similar to those as a flame at the end of a lit a match. My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to digest the mass contrasts of colours, sure I would never get use to autumn in September. Especially not one showered by a sea of reds, oranges and gold’s.

“Still not use to the weather?” My dad asked, scratching the stubble at the tip of his chin in an effort to make conversation. I tugged the bright yellow sleeve of my Pikachu jumper, pulling it further into my palm.

It was beyond freezing, although the car was slightly warmer than the outside world. I had multiple layers of clothing piled up under my jumper, making it look like I was stockpiling for an unknown Ice Age. I haven’t felt the tips of my fingers in days, let alone my toes.

“No.” I sighed, rubbing my hands together.

“I thought pommies were immune to the cold.” Tia teased, poking my forearm rather roughly. I rolled my eyes dramatically, but the effect was lost when I cracked a grin at the end. It was hard not to find Tia’s enthusiasm towards our auditions contagious, although mentally I knew that getting hyped up for something I planned on backing out of was beyond ridiculous.

“I’m not a pom.” I informed her, wiggling my index finger in her face. She grabbed it in her hand and turned in over, exposing my palm. Tia leaned over my palm, running a finger over the grooves. I watched her suspiciously as she did so. My brother had done the same thing once, only to bite my hand.

“Yes you are. After all, you were born here.” She mused, looking up at me from beneath her golden locks. I snatched my hand back in shock, staring at my palm in confusion. How on earth could she possibly know that?

Although it sounded absurd, it was true. My mother had met my dad on a trip to England, where they got married and proceeded to have me. Just before they had me, my parents decided they wanted to move to Australia and at just six weeks old I migrated to Australia. As a result, I’m English born and have a dual citizenship. Regardless, I still think of myself as Australian.

I heard Tia snort with laughter, which was quickly followed by my dad. I stared at him accusingly, pulling my sleeve back into my palm to keep my hands warm.

“You told her.” I guessed, rolling my eyes at their hysterics. I wanted to slap myself for think that Tia had actually read my palm.

“Telling people things is a form of being social, Mariel.” My dad said impassively, with a small smile. “I do that.”

“Aha! Proof!” She declared, prodding me on the arm again. I nudged her with my elbow in return, which then proceeded to start a full on war. She caught me in the stomach at one point, which hurt more then she probably intended.

“This is stupid.” I managed to wheeze, my arms cupping my stomach as the pain faded. Tia gasped over-dramatically, a smile tugging at the corner of her lips, not looking at all sorry for the low blow.

“Your jumper is stupid.” She quipped.

I rolled my eyes. To think that she’d been begging for me to let her borrow my Pikachu jumper not ten minutes ago, and that I had the decency to think about saying yes. I think I might just reconsider my answer.

“Liar.” I stuck my tongue out at her, which she happy mimicked in return.

It was around an hour and a half drive from Wakefield to Manchester, where the auditions where being held. I wasn’t too apprehensive towards the outcome, but more towards Tia’s. After all, she is the whole reason I am on my way to an X-Factor audition.