Chapter 18: The So-Called Vacation

The warm breeze played against her skin softly, mussing her long aqua curls away from her face. The soft scent of the ocean wafted in her nose and she could only smile in content, happy that her problems seemed an ocean away. Technically they were, but she didn't think of it now. She was glad everything went right...that her parents accepted her decision and she and the most important person to her were allowed this bit of calm. Glancing to her right, she smiled at the cute picture that was Haruka.

They were both lying on separate beach chairs, the ocean waters tossing back and forth in front of them and a lone big umbrella guarding them from the hot sun. If only Japan's weather was this nice this time of year she wouldn't have left the country... but the torrential downpours she's been experiencing was enough to last her the year.

Unlike her, Haruka was sound asleep. Michiru loved the unguarded look in her face—she's doesn't see it often. It might've come from her constant training ever since she was a child or just from her personality, but Haruka had the most constantly vigilant face she's ever witnessed. Her eyes were always looking around for anything remotely close to suspicious, her body tense and poised, ready for whatever action she needed to take. The smaller girl loved that protective side of Haruka too, noting with a smile how she towered over the pizza boy some nights back at the hotel, but the calm serenity on her face right now was a sight not a lot has seen.

Her eyebrows hitched at the thought of another woman possibly seeing this side of Haruka before.

I need to talk to her about that...

Her insecurities flared even more as two women in very exposing bikinis walked by them, closer to where Haruka lay, and gave a flirtatious laugh at the sight of the blonde. Unlike her who was wearing a two piece bikini like every other girl in the beach, Haruka would not under any circumstances wear anything exposing. Instead, she was wearing bleached board shorts with her customary white polo shirt.

Michiru stared daggers at the retreating girls and looked back at a still sleeping Haruka. She reached out and brushed her cheeks affectionately, making the blonde's eyes open slowly.

"Hmm?" she asked rather cutely and Michiru just had to reach her body out and kiss her.

Haruka gave a small amused smile. "What was that for?"

"Just trying to reassert my possession."

The blonde's eyes widened a little as Michiru's eyes flickered to the two passerbies earlier. "Hmm... if you're allowed to do that, then I can go overprotective mode on any guy that looks at you then right?"

Michiru giggled and brushed the blonde's silky strands back. "But that requires pummeling Ruka. I don't do anything physical—

"Else there'd be tons of girls on the ground by now huh?" the other quipped back with a smirk.

"What can I say? You're rather handsome... Do you realize that half of the class basically turned into puddle the first day you arrived in Mugen?"

"Did you turn into puddle?"

The violinist laughed. "No, I was too mad about the situation."

Haruka smiled at her, a small gleam in her green eyes. "Let's not get started about the living arrangements...which I have to ask... who's place when we get back...yours or mine?"

Michiru gave a seductive smile and stood up from her beach chair only to straddle a surprised blonde. She tucked a loose strand of aqua curls behind her ear and inwardly smirked at the blush creeping quickly from Haruka's neck to her face. "Ara, I wonder if that really matters in the end..."