Chapter Twenty-Two

When the announcement that Gold would be ceasing to attend Oakwood academy, the whole school was genuinely disheartened. No one stayed that way though— not when Gold announced the upcoming tour with Chasing Silhouettes. However, when the tour dates came out, I found myself once again brimming with conflicted feelings.

            “You didn’t tell me you’d be going overseas,” I said flatly, cornering Rian by the school gates as he arrived for his last day of classes.

            Looking like a deer caught in headlights, he cringed. “I’m sorry! It’s a worldwide tour, Iris.”

            Crossing my arms of my chest, I pouted at him. “How come you didn’t tell me this before?”

            “I was going to tell you,” he said with an earnest expression. “I’ve been so busy lately though… I pushed it to the back of my mind because I didn’t want to think about it.”

            “I’d be angry with you, but I’m too busy feeling happy that you guys are finally able to travel overseas to tour,” I mumbled, scuffing my feet in the dirt.

            Rian cooed and pinched my cheeks. “What a proud girlfriend.”

            I slapped his hands away. “I am proud.”

            “Thank you,” he said sincerely, giving me a stunning smile. “You’re support means the most to me.”

            “D-don’t mention it,” I stammered, suddenly feeling embarrassed. “You guys have an assembly this morning, right? You don’t want to miss that.”

            Chuckling, he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to him. “Yep. A final goodbye and thank you to the student body and the faculty. And another opportunity to advertise our tour.”

            “I can’t believe it’s your last day. I can’t believe you’re taking off for the airport tomorrow.” I really couldn’t. The last week had flown by, just like the past month. I’d barely gotten to see any members of Gold. Honestly, I was feeling a little lonely.

            Rian’s face lost some of its brightness, and the corners of his lips turned down. “I have to admit, I’ll miss this place. I’ve had the best experience of my life here.”

            “I think I have too,” I responded, offering him a small smile. “I can’t believe it’s over.”

            “It’s not over for you, Iris,” he told me, shaking his head. “Enjoy the rest of the year with your friends. Don’t think about me too much.”

            “I didn’t plan to.”

            He grimaced. “Always quick to the whip.”

            I bumped my hip into his. “I’m kidding.”

            “Rian! Iris!”

            Rian and I turned around, seeing Kevin stumbling towards us. “Yun!” Rian greeted enthusiastically. “What’s up?”

            “Luke and Noah are already in the auditorium,” Kevin told him, panting slightly. “The principal is waiting for you. The homerooms teachers are sending everyone in already. Hurry up and get there!”

            Rian turned to the school building. “Already? So much heartbreak so early in the morning…”

            I shoved him gently. “Get going.”