The Powers

Hey, so this is my new story and I know I'm not known for updating stories very often, but if I don't update soon you can come to my house and rob me. LOL. I'm dedicating this chappy to XxEdgeOfGloryxX becuz I love, love, love her story and want her to update. If you want me to dedicate a chapter to you ask me to read your story and if I love it I'll dedicate a chapter to it. Anyway... read away.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

BLURB:

In most love stories love comes in the form of the player at school, the new kid or your best friend from childhood. In this story love falls from the sky, literally.

Avery Powers has always thought that love is a fairytale and a myth, but when a mysterious boy falls from the sky and lands on Avery, she falls in love.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter One

Avery rushed out of school as fast as she could. Making sure no teachers could see her skipping detention. She couldn't afford being late for dinner again. Not after last night.

**FLASHBACK**

Avery hurried into the house, hoping Jim wouldn't be home yet.

"Why didn't you make me dinner?" Avery heard her stepfather's familiar voice grumble.

"Umm, I got lost?" She tried to sound like she was telling the truth. Jim didn't like it when she got detention.

"You got lost? More like you were whoring around. Slut." He proclaimed and kicked her in the knee.

She grabbed her knee and hobbled up the stairs to her bedroom, if you could call it a bedroom. Her room barely fit her sleeping bag, yes a sleeping bag, let alone a bed. She called it her big closet, because that's pretty much what her room was. An over-sized closet.

When Avery made it to her 'room' she locked to door, hoping Jim would go away if her door was locked, like he usually did. Apparently he was feeling persistent tonight.

"Come out here, slut!" He screamed.

'No thank you.' Avery grumbled sarcastically in her mind.

**END OF FLASHBACK**

Once in the house Avery started cooking dinner, tacos.

"Oh good, you're here on time. Bitch." Jim slurred, obviously drunk.

Avery thought of how her stepfather's drinking problems got worse after her mother died. She felt a slight ping at her heart when she thought of her mother.

Her mother was a wonderful women, after her husband died she got depressed and Jim made her feel better. After they got married Jim showed his true colors. He was alcoholic and loved to hit things and sometimes people. When Avery's mother died in a car crash Jim became even more violent, hitting Avery if she was late for dinner and sometimes even breaking her bones or shoving her head into a bucket of water until she stopped struggling. Avery put up with the abuse because she knew Jim would hurt her even more if she told on him.

After making the tacos and setting the table Avery went to Jim's 'man cave' to tell him dinner is ready. She knocked and there was no answer, assuming Jim was passed out she went in anyway. She was shocked to see Jim making out with a woman about 20 years old. She closed the door and ran outside.

She couldn't get the disturbing mental image out of her head. She decided going on a walk would probably be best. She walked through the forest and into a clearing, where she always went to think. Avery sat down and started thinking about the good things in life, like how she had a home and food. She was soon asleep.

***

Avery was woken up by a huge thud and the wind being knocked out of her. She opened her eyes and saw that it was very dark, she also saw a boy on top of her. She quickly pushed him off.

"I know you liked it sweet heart." The boy whispered in a husky voice, sending shivers down Avery's spine.

"I d-d-definitely did not." Avery stuttered, trying to sound sure of herself.

"You sure about that?" He asked, rubbing her arm.

"V-very sure." Why couldn't she keep herself calm around this hot guy?

'He's really hot, literally.' She thought, feeling her arm heat up and tingle from his touch.

"Where did you come from?" She asked, unsure how the mystery boy got there.

"Umm, well, I was just taking a walk." He responded, quickly making up a lie. He couldn't let her know he had fallen from the sky because his flying friend Henry decided to drop him.

'Yes Henry could fly, but I can control and make fire.' He thought to himself.

"My name's Eric by the way." He told her.

"Hi, I guess, umm, my names Avery."

Eric was about to say 'cool' and leave when he saw her necklace. The Blue jewel was similar to the one in a case at his school, Alexander's Academy for the Gifted, a boarding school for teenagers with powers. The one at his school belonged to the most powerful family ever, the Powers.

'Everyone in the Powers family wore the family jewel, meaning Avery has powers.' Eric thought.

"You have powers?" He asked.

"What are you talking about?" She questioned

"Nothing." Eric replied quickly.

"Umm, ok. Are you here alone?"

As if on cue Henry walked out of the forest waving at Eric.

"Hey man. Who's the pretty lady?" Eric felt anger build inside of him.

'Henry's hitting on my girl! Wait, MY girl? I just met her.' He thought.

"Umm, who are you." Avery asks.

"Oh, hi, my name's Henry. I'm Eric's lover." Henry jokes. Eric pushes him down.

"What the hell, man?!"

"I was joking. You know that, right pretty lady?"

Avery laughs, "Yeah and my name is Avery, not 'pretty lady'"

"Ok, 'Avery'" He does the quotation marks, "What's your power." He asks, noticing the necklace.

"What?"

"You know like, I can fly and Eric can control fire." He explains.

"What?" She turns to Eric, "You can control fire?" Then she turns back to Henry, "You can fly?"

"Yeah... oh shit." Henry just realized that people with powers from the Powers family don't get the powers until they're 18.

"Shit. Dude, she's one of the Powers, she doesn't get powers until she's 18."

"I thought all the Powers died?" Eric asked.

"Apparently not, her parents are probably dead." Henry regretted saying that right away. Avery started sobbing at the thought of her parents.

"Oh crap." Eric starts wiping Avery's tears away.

"What do we do?" Henry asks.

"We take her to the headmaster."