Chapter Four- The Symbol

A special thanks to CoverMaker for designing this absolutely stunning banner of Chase you can see below :)

            I woke up late in the afternoon in my own room, completely confused.

            I remembered seeing Devon’s car in the driveway and I remembered grabbing a soda for him but, after that, nothing.

            I shook my head as if that would clear it. Strands of thoughts were running through my mind so quickly, I couldn’t quite grasp onto them. I felt something was deeply wrong, but I had no way to understand what it was.

            I decided to take a shower, hoping that would help clear my head ache that was becoming increasingly worse by the second.

            It did nothing to help me. Instead it seemed to strengthen the pain.

            I let out an annoyed groan.

            This day officially sucked. I had gone to school dressed up as an elf, been stuck with Chase for a whole class period, and missed the opportunity I had to talk to Devon.

            I was usually not a whinny person, but I was grumpy and my head hurt, so I started to cry. Right there, in my shower. Like a pathetic hormonal teenage girl.

            After it struck me that I was being stupid, I forced myself to stop crying and stepped out of the shower.

            I grimaced when I saw my own reflection.

            My eyes were still watery and my nose was bright red.

            I washed my face with cold water, hoping that would do something to help with my appearance.

            I shuffled into my room to change into my nightgown. Right before I was about to remove my towel, I heard a voice behind me.

            “From Santa to Rudolf,” Chase Caulfield said from my door.

            Of course, I was startled out of my mind, but I didn’t have a very typical reaction movies tend to depict. I didn’t gasp and turn around to face him. No, I screamed. I screamed bloody murder and fell back on the floor, nearly hitting my head on the corner of my desk.

            Chase came into my line of sight. He leaned against my door frame, sunglasses still on his face, and I swear that asshole was smirking.

            I tried to speak, but I couldn’t make out any words.

            Chase stood there patiently, waiting for me to start screaming at him.

            I tried once again.

            Nope. My words didn’t work, but I was damn sure I could still move and movements often communicated even more than words did.  

            I jumped up, marched towards him, and slapped him across the face.

            His head jerked to the side and his sunglasses nearly fell off.

            I was actually surprised at how easy it was for me to slap him. I had half-expected for him to block me or something.

            So, I don’t think he’s a werewolf, I thought dryly.

            Right after I finished that thought, Chase slapped me.

            He slapped me.