Chp. 22 (pt. 2)

=22=

                                                                                      (pt. 2)

=Kaelyn=

         I can't even explain how happy I was to wake up and discover that I was free. Free from the lies and secrets. And best of all, my prince understood everything! He wasn't angry or pushing me away.

         He had forgiven me, which, even though was still beyond my comprehension, had more value than piles and piles of jewels and gold coins.

         A stupid grin battled to appear on my face. Of course, I couldn't let that happen. While a dorky smile like that might appear attractive or cute on a normal girl, it would look utterly ridiculous on a horse. Biting my lip, I attempted to appear natural. 

         Philip was already up, bathing in the river. Remembering the first time he washed himself, I quickly stood and trotted over to examine the trees and bushes for any morsels to eat. Thankfully I was rewarded with a few delicious berries. 

         When I heard him splashing onto the bank, I waited a few minutes for him to pull on his pants. The remaining scraps of his shirt had become bandages for his wound. That was something I could live with though. 

         A cool palm petted my shoulder and I turned abruptly, my excitement getting the best of me. A startling bump to the cheek and a quiet 'oof' from the prince forced a few berries to spill from my mouth. Embarrassed, I quickly stepped back a few paces, lowering my head in apology.

         A quiet chuckle soon followed, and I glanced up at him. He was rubbing his nose, and grinning at me. 

         "And good morning to you too, Kaelyn," he greeted politely. 

         Nickering a 'hello' back, I retraced my steps back so I stood directly in front of him... with a lovely view of him standing shirtless before me...

         A small cough brought me back to my senses. I covered for my staring by nodding my head at his injury. I was a little concerned about it...   

         Philip caught on quickly.

         "Oh, that?" He tenderly touched it with his hands. "It's fine, don't worry. It's been healing fairly nicely, although too slowly for my tastes." I managed to tear my eyes away from his nicely toned chest up to his eyes. I slapped myself mentally for letting my mind get carried away like that. Honestly, he gives me a hug and says he forgives me and here I go thinking he has a nice body... I need help.

         "Ready to start homeward again?" I whinnied my 'yes' in response. 

         Together, we started walking alongside the river. For some reason, he didn't want to ride, and I couldn't figure out why. Surely it would be faster than him walking. I even had to slow my pace a little to match his own. 

         Is something bothering him? If only I could ask him!

         After a few minutes of awkward silence, I nudged his palm with my nose. He stopped walking immediately and glanced worriedly into my eyes.

         "Is something wrong?" He asked quickly, searching my face for any recognizable sign or gesture that would better communicate my answer. He seemed sort of jumpy, and it was rather unnerving. Something really was weighing heavily on his mind. I snorted in frustration that I lacked a human voice to ask him what was wrong.