Wanting to be part of something real

Leila sat on the bed; her body trembled in fear, what could be the possible reasons for Nathaniel’s words. Were they going to break up?  It scared her to think that they would be separated from each other, she couldn’t bear the thought of it and suddenly she felt sick to her stomach. She needed fresh air, she felt as though her heart was being ripped from her chest and she needed to breathe. So, she grabbed the escalade car key and ran out of the door, once she got inside, she drove. She didn’t know where just yet, but she just drove.

Nathaniel quickly packed his bags and told Mike of the situation. His cousin would take his place, but he couldn’t go on with these meetings. He had to figure out a way to stop Alice from telling his dad. And he needed to be at Leila side if it were the last time. “She hasn’t been to work” Mike had told him.

“Wait, why?”

“Because of your last conversation.”

“Where is she?” at her parent’s. “She’ll be fine Nathaniel, she just has to process the idea.”

“Alright, I have to go, the plane is about ready to go”

                        Seven hours later, Nathaniel found himself at the JFK airport and a limo awaiting his arrival. “Home sir?” the driver asked.

“No, we are going to my 50 river lane, long island” he told the driver. Leila thought he didn’t care, but he had remembered when she told him those small details and he glad he listened because today more than ever, he needed to be in her arms.

            “Baby, are you coming outside?” the dark skin brown woman asked.  Her hair soft and girly reaching downs her back. She sported confortable sweatpants and a fitted t-shirt.  “Everyone is having a good time and I’m sure the time with your cousin will do you some good.”

“No ma, I think I just want to be in my room”

“Come on Leils, you cant be like this forever, I’m sure that’s not what he meant.”  She told her daughter as she walked over and sat on the corner of the bed.

“Ma, what else could he have meant? I mean lets face it. That relationship was doomed from the gecko, we were just too blind to see it. Well, he fought against being with me, so I guess he saw it”

“Sweetheart, you can just place a definite sign on things. You never know. You guys just have to want it bad enough and that might mean making sacrifices, but.”

“Ma! What am I going to say? Can I really be that selfish to ask him to give up something he worked hard for? Am I that selfish to ask him to give up his family? Yeah, they are evil and screwed-ups but they are his family, I can’t ask him to do that! How would you feel if he asked me to do that?”

“But are his family that selfish that they would ask him to give up on you?”

“Ma! His mom called me a monkey for Christ sakes”

“Then it’s all up to him isn’t it?”

“I wouldn’t let him ma. He would just end up resenting me in the end.”

“Oh no he wouldn’t. Not if he really loves you.”

“That’s the thing. He hasn’t even said that!”  Leila argues. Tears flowing down her eyes.  As she and her mother talk. She heard the voice of her father come from outside and yelled. “Honey, someone is outside for you!”

“Who is it dad?”

“Some guy dressed in some very expensive clothes and a limo.”

“Mike” Leila whispered to herself. “Nathaniel probably sent him,” she told her mom. I’ll be right back.” She told her money as she removes herself from the bed and walks downstairs and head outside.