001: Oathbound Life

He walked in silence, hands in his pockets as treading the familiar streets. Despite the ever-present dark of the night, he wandered down the road effortlessly. This jaunt was one that has firmly etched in his mind. If he had, then he would have seen the street lights and store lights that started to flicker on, welcoming the night world of Namimori. Colorful city lights of the shops lit his way as he made his way past their windows. Remembering his recent splurge on a pack of cigarettes, the young man looked down so as not to see their wares whose fares were more than he could afford. So he walked further away and found himself in a sketchy part of Namimori. Away from all that glitter, his feet had wandered and wandered, eventually leading him to a convenience store. Like the other stores he passed on his journey, he simply ignored it and moved a little further, turning into a skinny, unlit alleyway.

A normal person would have shuddered and refused to pass where he walked. He didn't look up to look the people which he passed. They ignored him just the same - it was the unwritten law in that place.

He didn't need a flashlight to guide him in the dark. He turned to another similar looking alley, glancing up at the sinister black shadows that moved around him. He didn't even flinch when someone swaggered in front of him. He merely glared at the person, huffed and walked on. Once or twice he was stopped by a dangerous looking being, but after some nicely directed threats and pulling out of a few of his trusty dynamites, they left him alone. He was too tired to deal with any of them.

Another day was over, and he was exhausted. Yet, he didn't let it register on his face. He walked towards the end of the alley he was on and was about to enter the open door when a woman blocked his path.

"Good evening, Hayato," a barely dressed woman greeted him sultrily, her cheap perfume lingering in the air where she was. She looked at him from behind her long fake lashes and pouted her iridescent red lips at the young man. The older woman thought that the young man before him was a good looking young man, his Italian features had mixed quite nicely with his almond shaped oriental eyes which were a brilliant shade of green.

She wanted to bring him to her club as a host. There was no doubt in her mind that if he agreed, he would be her Number 1 without effort.

"When are you going to play with me?"She asked him sweetly as she reached for his arm, which he shrugged away from her.

"Tch." He didn't even want to look at her. "How about never? Leave me alone, ugly bitch."

"Ouch," the woman said while laughing."So mean, Hayato and so feisty. I like it. Rent's due soon" She drawled at him."If you don't want to pay, you could just play with me." She smiled enjoying the frown he had on his face.

"I'll pay you next week," he said firmly as he rolled his eyes and walked away. He was tired. Taking care of the Juudaime was hard work since his boss was constantly targeted by idiots who thought they could defeat him. Then there was school and chasing around the Dumb Cow.

If that wasn't enough, he just got home from small reconnaissance assignment for the Vongola. He had to call them to report his findings and ask them to wire the payment to his bank account to pay the rent. He didn't like these errand-like missions but life isn't free. He needed to keep doing these bothersome things and tiny missions until he could actually make a hit for bigger money. But since he was currently acting undercover, he needed to lay low on the hits. Woe is the life of a right-hand man.

Despite the struggles he was currently facing, his pride was too high to ask for any help. There was no way he'd accept help from his sister even if she had offered it to him many times. He could bear this much for the Tenth. This was nothing. However, if the Tenth had known how he lived then he would have been worried. That was why he kept quiet about his living arrangements. It was better that the Tenth didn't kn

The silver headed assassin's hands fumbled inside his school bag until he found his key and pulled it out to openthe door to his tiny apartment. It was no bigger than a broom closet back in the manor, but it was his home. Upon entering, he didn't even bother turning on the lights. He threw his bag to one side (which wasn't very far), kicked off his shoes, and took out the dynamite that he'd hidden within his clothing before collapsing on the unmade futon that he slept in. He wanted to go to sleep but there was still work to be done. After a few minutes of resting his eyes, he rolled over, sat up and turned on his laptop to log onto the Vongola Network.

He quickly checked his e-mail to make sure that there were no urgent messages that he needed to attend to. There were a few minor job offers that involved message delivery and some form of spying which he put to the side to look at later. He yawned loudly and turned a bit to reach into the tiny refrigerator next to his small makeshift desk to get some water. He really should have moved to a bigger place, but for now, this would have to do.

He lit a cigarette and took a long leisurely puff before he started typing up his report. He had done well, getting some important information about their target, a local business man who was involved in shady business in the Gambling Circuit. The information was pretty easy to get too. The mistress of the man was more than happy to divulge things about her lover once Hayato smiled at her and his misdirected threats were answered with cooing about how cute he was when he was embarrassed. Pretending to be a host wanting to find a good job was the trick he used to get the information needed from the woman. A brief spark of him working as a host in his landlady's joint played in his head, but he quickly brushed it away. He wasn't that desperate yet.

Once he was done with his cigarette and his report, he turned off his laptop and lay back on his futon. He considered getting a shower, but exhaustion had set in. He'd do all that tomorrow. He arranged himself on the bed, not even bothering to change. His life was too exhausting and the returns were little.

He frowned at his fate. He could have been living a better life. He could have been doing hits that paid better. He could have been eating better and not living in a dump like this.

He looked up at the ceiling, and asked himself why he was living like this. He sighed. He knew the answer to that question. He had sworn to follow the man who accepted him fully when he thought no one would. He had promised his life to a person - the one person who truly saw him and believed him for who he really was. The Decimo treated him as family, as an equal, allowing him to enjoy his company not only as his right hand man but also as a brother and friend.

He had his doubts once. The Tenth looked like someone who couldn't be the Vongola's 10th generation boss. He was weak and dumb, he didn't do well at school and he had no special or stunning traits to him that could make him stand out. Unless, of course, you considered failing at everything a special trait. Hayato had challenged him and had wanted to see why Vongola Nono had chosen the weakling who never did anything good. And soon, he was proven wrong: Sawada Tsunayoshi was indeed a man worthy to be called the next generation's boss. Because, even if Sawada barely knew him, he had risked his life for him.

The more he got to know the Tenth, the more he believed that he had the potential and the ability to lead the world's greatest family. He found that Sawada Tsunayoshi had a great heart and that his passion for people surpassed any normal person's. He was the type who would risk his life to save a friend in need—Hayato was proud to serve that kind of person.

He had made a promise to himself and to the tenth that he would give his life for him. This was the reason why he had to bear this kind of life. It was all right as long as he could serve the Tenth.

He clenched his right hand and felt the Vongola's storm guardian's ring on his finger. It was proof of his bond with the Vongola Decimo. It was an oath that he was most proud of and which summarized his reason for living. He lived to serve the great man who encompassed everyone with his great heart and he was proud to be his right hand man.

With that final thought, he allowed slumber to take him. Tomorrow was another day of living his oath bound life, after all.