(22) Shot

<<Don't forget to vote!

Chapter Twenty-Two

                “What? No way!”

                “You’re crazy.”

                “That’s a good idea.”

                My head snapped up to Brent on his comment, my eyes immediately turning into slits. “What do you mean it’s a ‘good idea’?”

                “I meant that it’s a good idea?” Brent questioned sarcastically, the corners of his mouth turning up into a smirk.

                “How is killing each other a good idea, Brent?”

                “Well because-“

                “Because of his dream,” Andrea interjected, earning a glare from Brent. “He said that you two have to give each other something. What more than your lives?”

                “Wow. I must be the only sane one here!” I declared, throwing my hands up in the air in frustration.

                “You’re forgetting me!” Meg exclaimed, raising her hand.

                “Including you,” I snapped, and she returned with a pout.

                “Besides,” Brent began, “what else can we give each other?”

                My mouth opened to respond, but I quickly snapped it shut while I thought. What could we give each other? Love? Done. Kissing? Done. I’m thinking too close minded. “Maybe…” I trailed off, blushing beet red.

                Scowling, Brent turned his face from me. “No.”

                “Well, what else!”

                “Something. Not that. Remember what I said.”

                “So you don’t love me?” I inquired lightly, but inside my heart was stirring.

                “No, it’s not that… it’s just…”

                “It’s just what, Brent?” I asked, and I heard my voice shaking.

                “Am I the only one that doesn’t understand what they are saying?” Meg whispered to Andrea, to which she returned with a shrug.

                “Brent doesn’t want to have sex with me,” I said, crossing my arms and jutting my leg out in a defensive manner.