The Rape of Proserpine Chapter Two

Two

“You have to admit, that was really funny!” River Henders managed to choke out as he rolled on my bed, hands clutching his stomach. “I,” another gurgling laughter, “didn’t expect,” his body bounced up and down on the mattress like a maniac having a seizure, “you to be so,” he tried to sit but failed due to the immense pleasure that seemed to tear through him, “terrified!”

I gritted my teeth to prevent myself from losing control, but I kind of already did back in the woods. “You are one sick bastard,” I mouthed ominously, remembering what happened thirty minutes ago. It was a prank. A joke River decided to play on me. Judging by his reaction, I could say it worked perfectly well. “I thought you were the one,” I groaned in disappointment as I watched him in the final throes of his immense pleasure trip.

“Are you friggin serious?” He blurted in disbelief while running a hand through his shiny shoulder- length black hair. “You were squealing out there like a girl about to be abducted by aliens! I mean, no offense, but you were completely powerless to me.”

I stood up from my chair, closed the distance between us and attempted to punch him. Attempted, meaning, I failed miserably. His fingers tightened on my wrist. “Just so you know, it was all an act to make you nervous and weak,” I sneered.

“Oh yeah?” I jerked my hand away. “You were really good at it.”

“Thank you!” The joyous clamor of my voice was coupled with flaming sarcasm. I returned to my seat and stared at the ceiling, hiding my embarrassment and shame.

“Hey!”

“What?!”

“Let’s say, hypothetically, your plan worked and I was the one you think snatched Marel away. What made you so sure that you could go against this person? If Marel didn’t make it, how could you?”

Instantly going on the defense, I shot him an unpleasant look. “Your point being?!” River cast his eyes downward, sure as hell mortified at touching the elephant in the room. His hair flowed freely down his face like a true-to-life river. Once again, the desire to find a pair of scissors and cut it just for the fun of taking revenge and seeing him angry intensified, my fingers literally itched. “What were you doing in the woods anyway?” I asked, changing the subject. I didn’t mean to sound accusing or anything but his face hardened considerably. 

“I was on my way here.”

“All right, just asking.” I mentally smacked myself for offending him. What was I thinking? River and I were like the duo version of Marel, Sam, and douche bag Kenon. I should pull myself together. No room for being paranoid and clumsy. River was just as enthusiastic as I was with the plan when I told him a month ago. I knew he was just looking out for me and the possibility of the whole thing backfiring. “I’m sorry,” I caved.

He nodded, his shoulders relaxing. “It’s cool.” I smiled back as I saw him crack that goofy smile of his. It was so out of place and character, his smile. Marel warned me to stay away from him, saying he was a bad influence, a trouble maker, up to no good kind of guy. Of course, I didn’t listen to him. How could I when he was close friends with the master of all jerks to begin with. “What?” He fired unexpectedly, breaking my trance. I broke into a silly grin. I shivered at the memory of his strong arms surrounding me tightly, his hard chest pressed against my back, his hot breath warming the back of my neck; the combination was just so intoxicating. “You’re starting to have that dangerous look, you know.” He shifted on the bed, creating a soft moan to come out of the mattress’ springs.

“I love danger.”

* * * *

“I’ll take care of it, don’t worry,” River assured me on the phone. I was on my way to school, walking under the intense heat of the early morning. “You owe me for it, though.” I could just detect the amusement blending in his low voice.