Chapter 1

Chapter 1: First Video

Being a singer in this industry is hard. I got my big break a year ago when someone finally saw my videos on YouTube. I was completely shocked at first. I jumped up and down in my bedroom screaming. Doing covers of other songs was fun, but I prefer posting my original songs. Those always got the most hits, which I never understood at first. The first original song I posted is now my first single. I’m filming my first music video for that song today. My dad even hired a manager for me because my schedule got so busy and neither one of us could handle it alone.

My mom died when I was little so I've grown up with my dad. I hate dressing girly but my manager really wants me to. He thinks I’ll make a better impression on the public and I’ll be more successful if I look really girly. I showed up on set and my manager, Ben approached me immediately.

"I think you should wear a dress for this video," he said.

I immediately resented, "I don't wear dresses."

"But," he started, "You are going to have to get used to it. I mean they expect you to wear one for the awards...."

My eyes shot up at him, "Woah woah, awards?" Sometimes I really hate when Ben purposely does not tell me things that I should know.

"Yeah," he said, "congratulations you've been nominated!"

"I have?!" I said excitingly.

"Yes. That gives us enough time to film the video and get it finished so we can premiere it at the show."

"I can't believe this," I said. "It's amazing! I'll wear a dress to that, but I want my first video to be me. A dress isn't me. At least let me do the video my way."

"Okay fine," he finally agreed.

"Okay let's get filming," I smiled.

The crew led me backstage and I put on some skinny jeans and a t-shirt which is my signature style Ben hates. I wore my regular hoop earrings and some rubber bracelets that I never take off. Each bracelet stood for something whether they were favorite artists or favorite quotes and sayings. They straightened my hair and put on makeup. I usually didn't wear a lot of makeup but they insisted on me wearing more than usual. That was one detail I could not get Ben to change his mind on. Most of the other aspects of the video I completely approve on.

We are filming my video on a building in the city. It's a song I wrote called "Big" about becoming famous. How no one thought I could make it, but I'm going to prove them all wrong. I wrote it when I first realized I wanted to become a singer. Everyone laughed at me and made fun of me. It’s amazing how life works out.

We filmed the entire day and at about five in the afternoon we were finally at the last scene. I am completely exhausted but happy that the day was about over. I cannot wait to go home and eat something.

"Okay," Ben said, "Last scene. It's a close-up so I want you to actually sing it to the camera."

"Okay I can do that."

"Good action!" he yelled.

They started rolling and I looked into the camera and started singing:

"I'm gonna make it big someday. I'm gonna be famous then look back on what you said, 'there's no way you'll make it you're not good enough. Your voice ain't bigger than this town' I'm gonna make it big someday."

I held the note for five beats and looked at the camera before walking out of the shot. They yelled cut and I was done filming for the day.

"Okay that's it!" Ben yelled. "Now tomorrow we'll film the story line. We have a special guest. Adrianna you will be here to watch."

"Okay," I said "I'm going home."

"See ya Adrianna," the crew yelled.

"Bye!" I yelled before grabbing my bags and leaving the studio. All I can think about is going to sleep.