New School, New People

“Angel, have a good day, meet some friends, practice peace and harmony...oh and flirt for Pete’s sake, love you bye!” My aunt shouted out before I could even get a word in, she blew a kiss and drove off in her old truck, I wish that woman would be more modern. I turned round and scanned the school. Big building, bunch of kids and straight away I noticed the cliques. Typical high school, I walked across the front yard and was about to walk in when…

I crashed into someone. For goodness sake, can’t people see these days!

“Are you blind?” He grumbled. Talk about a hypocrite.

“Excuse me, but I do recall you smashed yourself into me,” I said calmly with a fake smile on my face.

“Whatever, wow you girls really are into short shorts.” He looked at me and rolled his eyes. I looked down; I was wearing a big cardigan, a blouse and shorts with converses.

“Then obviously you’re the one who’s blind,” I said while subtly pulling my shorts down. Geez, first impressions Angel the hoe. Great just great.

“Whatever, you’re new. You may be hot, but you’re still new… come find me in a week.” He chuckled with a flirty smile on his face.

I scoffed and walked inside.

I looked around and noticed a sign showing ‘Reception’ and walked towards it.

A small plump lady was sitting on a chair reading a folder and trying to reach her cup of water across her desk which she obviously couldn’t reach. I gently pushed the cup closer and quickly the woman looked up.

Her face was pale with faint wrinkles and bright red lipstick that just didn’t suit her but hey, can’t blame the woman it was a great colour. I smiled and she blankly stared at me and looked back at her folder. Rude much. I started fiddling with my cardigan button when she startled me when she started to talk.

“Angel Marie Johnson, New student, Welcome to Ravens High. I hope you settle here. Here is your map; time table and locker number… 646. You may develop your own code but make sure to remember it you wouldn’t believe how many kids have forget theirs,” She had such a high voice it was unbelievable, I knew she was small but I thought it was stereo-typical for them to have high pitched voices too, well guess I was wrong.

“Okay, thanks.” I said staring at her file, I was on the file. I had a file? That’s why she was so focused, nosey woman.

“Ok, hurry along… your first class is Maths.” She said reading the folder again.

I walked away from the window and went searching for Room 71.

“67…68…69…70…71!” I said to myself quietly.

I entered and all eyes turned to me. Oh yeah, I’m new and late. The teacher turned to me.

“Oh, so you're the new student. Angel right?” I nodded. He was young and not bad looking but he looked like he was in his late 20’s and I’ve watched those shows when those teachers and students hook up… they don’t end well.

“Grab a seat next to Allison,” He pointed at her but she didn’t take her gaze from him.

“Alright.” I walked to the seat next to Allison and from the corner of my eye I could see the girl staring at me. I turned to face her.

“Um, yes?” I said uncomfortably.

“Oh sorry, Hey my name’s Allison, how ya doing?” She looked like one of those shy girls by her expression but the way she flicked her long wavy blonde hair made her seem different.

“I’m cool. What is the class learning about?” She looked at me funny.

“Who cares about maths when we have this hottie,” She fanned herself while I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, I guess he’s alright…” She looked at me like I had admitted murder.

“Wow, you ARE new,” she giggled.

“What, he’s just…” Sir cleared his throat interrupting us.

“So, would you like to share what you were talking about with the class girls?” He said in a failing voice of a serious teacher.

“Allison was just helping me with my map thing; I asked her a question about the school.” I said.

“Fine, pay attention.” He turned, faced the board and continued on with the lesson. I sat up and searched through my bag when I got a tap on my shoulder. I turned round to see a guy. A good-looking guy.

“Hey…” He said and flashed a smile.

“Um hi,” I gave him a small smile. Jessica said always play hard to get, that has to be one of the only few things I actually learnt from her.

“So you're an angel,” He smiled again.

“No, I am Angel,” I said looking through my bag. Now, that was just cheesy.

“Oh, my mistake,” He chuckled.

“Mm…” I mumbled.

“Well, what’s…?” Sir was standing in front of his desk and was not looking very happy.

“Excuse me, but I am trying to teach a lesson. Angel can you stop distracting the class!” He looked angry.

“Ok then,” I said quietly. He may be an attractive teacher but he needs to treat his stress levels.

The bell rang and everyone left the classroom like they were lucky to be alive, I slowly put my stuff in my bag and read my time table.

“English,”

I actually didn’t mind English or my other subjects the teachers were quite nice and so were the students. The school didn’t seem realistic enough, then came lunch.

I grabbed a sandwich and found a table to sit down at. I was a loner again. But it's the first day. I unwrapped my sandwich and was about to take a bite when I heard yelling from the other side of the cafeteria.

A couple, that looked like one of those jock and cheerleader relationships anway they were shouting at each other.

“I knew you liked her from the beginning!” She shouted.

“And so,” he said calmly. ‘Jerk-face,’ I mumbled to myself.

“How can you not even care?” She looked like she was on the verge of crying.

“Because you never shut up, you’re around me or want to be around me 24/7, you gossip too much, tell your friends everything and to be honest I don’t find you attractive.” He said harshly. Shame, sucks to be her right now.

The girl burst out crying and ran out of the hall with two of her friends following her while at the same time her used-to-be boyfriend was already flirting with another slag across the table.

“Someone needs to slap him…” A pretty brunette girl took a seat at the table.

“I know, he has no right to treat her like that,” I said, finally taking a bite of my sandwich.

“Yeah, but then again she is another one of those girls who get drunk, do the dirty and eventually get dumped. Most people call them the 'Triple D's'.” She had this edge to her that made her so interesting and it wasn’t fake it was probably her personality, it was cool.

I started laughing and she immediately smiled.

“My name’s Taylor, yours?”

“Angel, nice to meet you.”

“Well Angel, you’ve just made a new friend.” She smiled, showing off her pearly whites.

A friend. I, Angel Marie Johnson has a friend.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------