Chapter Twenty Six

Enjoy, Comment, Vote! 

____________________________________________________________

Chapter 26

Ashton

I sighed heavily, pulling Belle closer to me out of instinct. Reece followed the motion and offered me a sad smile. I buried my head into her neck and she turned in my arms, hugging me back. I let her title my head up so that we were peering into each other’s eyes.

“It’s gonna be okay.” She breathed and I smiled, moving so that I could run my fingers over her lower lip. I couldn’t resist kissing her. She felt too sweet against my lips for me to be able to help myself.

“Wasn’t I supposed to say that?” I smiled when she giggled, and she put her arms around my neck as she kissed me again.

“I hate to say this, but they are not the type to wait. You’ll have to hurry over there, or they might be in even worse mood than they are right now. It doesn’t help you were supposed to be there, Ash.” He murmured, looking down.

I wanted to say it’s not his fault he had to break the news to us, but Maddie beat me to it as she burst out of the bathroom and pretty literally threw herself on him. Reece stumbled and fell again the wall. This didn’t faze Maddie in the least though as she proceeded to give him a kiss.  “It’s not your fault. We don’t blame you! Do we guys?” She sang, glaring at us for backup.

I chuckled. You could always count on Maddie to lighten the mood. “She’s right.” I sighed. “Besides, I really should have been there. I could have helped change their opinion.” I shrugged. “I can’t do anything now.”

I felt as if I failed her, but the feeling was scattered away when she smiled at me and put her hand on my cheek. I captured it there, ravishing in the way she made me feel just by touching me. “We’ll be okay.” She repeated, and the words drew a smile to my face.

“I’m all right as long as you’re by my side.” I breathed, and she blushed in response, rewarding me with a kiss. Maddie giggled and grinned like an idiot, catching hold of Reece’s hand and smiling at him softly. They had it easy at the moment. I almost felt jealous of them.

“We should go.” I finally said with a sigh. I hated the thought of leaving the safe small bubble we created around us, the one that allowed us to ignore reality. Hesitation flashed across Belle’s features for a split second before I gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

We made our way to the door when I realised Reece hadn’t made a move to join us. “Aren’t ya coming along, Reece?” I wondered , looking back to where they climbed onto the bed. He shook his head and offered me an apologetic smile.

“Only family and the Alphas allowed. We’re still not exactly Alphas so...” He shrugged. “I’m sorry I can’t be there with you.”

I smiled back at him. “Don’t worry, and keep Maddie company.” I said with a smirk. “Just try not to break the bed again.” I grinned and pulled laughing Belle out of the room before Maddie had a chance to shout at us.

She laughed for a couple more moments, but as we left the house both of us fell silent. It was easy talking about consequences, but it was a whole different matter facing them. If they decided to throw her out of the ceremony, and I followed her I wouldn’t only lose my title. I would be treated as if I died. There was no worse thing that an Alpha forsaking his own pack.

I sighed, closing my eyes. I knew my sister would find a way to sneak around the rules and see me, but would my parents even bother trying?

“Ash?” Belle whispered and I turned to face her, hiding away the pain. She didn’t buy it though. She stopped, catching both of my hands and turning me to face her. “If... if they decide to... and if it’s too hard for you, you should... I can’t ask you to...” She stumbled over her words, unable to properly say what she wanted. I could see it hurt her to say those things.