Prologue

Prologue - Hawaii

The skies were clear and cloudless as a pair of F-18 jets climbed into the afternoon sky.  The two U.S. Navy planes were part of the long-range recon group, dedicated to protecting the Navy carrier fleet in the waters just south of the Hawaiian Islands.  The sleek grey fighters passed through the clouds and leveled off as they began their scheduled patrol.

Captain Sloan “Angel” West was flying wingman in the two-seated jet, her co-pilot Billy “Cools” Samson sat behind her cracking the occasional joke.  They trailed the lead F-18 Hornet flown by Captain Gord “Sword” Milan and Tim “Sway bar” Connor.  

Sloan’s movements were smooth and precise as the F-18 Hornets banked and began to circle the fleet below.  News had come in just that morning that part of the North Korean fleet had been spotted mobilizing and heading in their general direction.  Sloan had also heard strange rumours of a massive U.F.O. preceding the Korean fleet, although no one had any idea exactly what the object was.  Other pilots had heard whispers that the North Koreans might have had replicated the technology behind the Aurora California.   

The Aurora California was a shimmering curtain of light that had mysteriously sprung up around a small northern Californian valley several months ago.  The aurora looked like the Northern Lights and had been linked to strange artifacts with seemingly magical properties.  Events surrounding military actions against the area inside the Aurora California, now known as Eden, had been covered up but in the fallout, several high-ranking officers were dismissed from duty.  One of the highest officers dismissed was her old C.O., Colonel Charles Tapper.  

Sloan’s thoughts were interrupted by the radio in her helmet.  It squawked as the control tower relayed their orders. 

“Bugs 1 and 2, we have unidentified bogies approaching 100 mile zone.  Sat-cam reports multiple contacts.  Situation is hostile, we have confirmed several civilian vessels down in the area.   Proceed to sector Alpha-2 for long-range recon. We need eyes on A.S.A.P.  Reports are indicating a massive U.F.O., use full spectrum kit analysis once you have a visual.”

“Roger, Con,” Gord said, voice tight in anticipation.  “Bugs 1 and 2 Oscar Mike.”  

“You ready Angel?”  Gord asked over the com line.  

“I got your back Sword,” Sloan replied as she readied the plane for combat.  

Sloan pulled back the glove on her left hand and kissed a pair of red hearts tattooed into her skin.  

“Luck,” she prayed aloud.

“Stay frosty, afterburners in 3, 2, 1,” Gord counted down.

The jet fighters lit their afterburners and launched into supersonic flight, leaving a pair of matching clouds in their wake.  In a matter of minutes, a small dot appeared on the horizon.  The dark shape grew larger in the distance as they began to see flashes and explosions in the air ahead of them.  It took a moment to comprehend the enormity of what Sloan was seeing.  There was a large rocky island floating below them at around 10,000 feet.  The air around the floating island danced with shimmering lights and the occasional explosion.  Swarming around the entire area like a nest of angry ants was the entire North Korean Navy and Air Force.  Down on the water, several ships were billowing thick black smoke in the wake of the naval fleet.  

“Control, this is Bug 1.  We have visual confirmation, North Korean forces are engaged with a... uhh... unknown force.”  Gord’s normally rock steady voice faltered as the immense size of the floating island filled the horizon.  “Con, you’re not gonna believe this, U.F.O. is a floating rock,” Gord said obviously not believing his eyes.  “I estimate the U.F.O. is 10 miles wide and putting the hurt on the Koreans.”