Chapter 7 (original version)

"If you harm her, infected or not," Jason said through his teeth. "I will kill you."

Every one in the room was paralyzed in the spot they were standing. Cody's grip on my hand tightened.

Jason was standing in front of the couch baring the knife.

"Now Jason," Rich's deep southern accent filled the silent room. "Don't go and act all crazy on us. Times are crazy enough right now; we don't need to be fighting down here too." He held out both of his hands as he took a step forward.

Jason's eyes went crazy as he glanced at the rest of us, making sure that we weren't swarming him. Cody and I stood in our spots.

Rich took another step forward.

"Rich," Jason said his muscles clenched, almost tearing through his small t-shirt. "You better get  back before I put this knife in you."

Rich's eyes widened in horror and he stepped back against the wall.

"She's gonna change Jason," Cody's voice shocked me. "From what Selma told us, the infection spreads through the body pretty quickly." His voice cut off and he sighed. "She'll probably change any minute now."

Jason's face turned a bright scarlet. The veins in his neck and head pulsed.

"And what are you going to do when it happens little Cody?" Jason said maniacally.

This was the side of Jason I had seen when I yelled at them for not letting the screaming person in.

Fear ran through my body.

"If I have to," Cody took a deep breath and he let go of my hand. "I will kill her."

A horrific grin spread across Jason's face.

"Then I'll just have to kill you now," he sneered. "Before you can even lay a hand on her."

He lunged at Cody who dodged the knife blade just in time.

As Jason overshot his stab, Cody caught him in the jaw with his fist. The knife in Jason's hand fell to the ground and as he scrambled to pick it back up a fierce blow came from Cody, smashing Jason's nose. The crack of his nose echoed through the room, making me cringe.

I struggled to stay where I was standing as I watched Cody fight. He seemed to be able to take care of himself though.

I heard a groan escape from Jason's disgusting mouth as he held his hand to his face, covering his bloody nose.

"You piece of shit!" Jason screamed jumping at Cody again.

Jason grabbed Cody by his shirt and pushed him across the room into the wall by the cellar door. Cody's head bounced off the wall with a deafening knock.

I stepped forward to run to help him when I heard a growl.

My eyes glanced around the room and fell upon the couch.

Sheridan wasn't laying down anymore.

She was sitting up glaring, growling at me. Bloody tears drained down her face as she stood up slowly off of the couch.

I tried to scream for Cody and for Rich, but my throat dried up and nothing but a whisper came out.

Sheridan pounced at me, knocking me to the ground. I tried to push her back with my legs as she tried to crawl on top of me.

Everything went black around me as I focused everything in on myself and Sheridan. This was life and death. I had to fight for my life.

I kicked Sheridan in the face, getting every one's attention. Even though Sheridan was infected and not herself anymore, the pain of me kicking her pissed her off. I saw the look in her eyes change and I quickly went to grab the knife that was laying on the ground beside me.

As she pounced at me with all of her strength I plunged the knife deep into her neck. I'm sure I hit the spinal cord because I felt and heard a snap. I watched Sheridan's eyes roll back into her head as the blood in her neck poured onto my hands. I shoved her off of me, disgusted with what I just had to do and ran towardsthe bathroom to get it all off of me, not even looking at the faces in the room.

I heard a scream come from Jason and then felt his big body fall on top of me, crushing me.

Big bursts of pain erupted from the back of my head and his fists pounded against my skull. I tried to cover my hands over the back of my head but the kept getting pushed away by the big hands of Jason.

It stopped quickly when I heard the scream of pain behind me. The pressure off on my back was released and I rolled over to see what had happened.

Jason laid on the floor with a knife sticking out of his back.

Cody stood over Jason's body, his eyes glistening with tears.

"I-I never thought I would have to kill someone," Cody said. "But he would have killed you." His voice cracked.

I stood up from the ground as fast as I could and flung myself into his arms.

"Thank you," I whispered in his ear. "You saved my life again."