Chapter 39 - Speculations

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 39 – Speculations

After several choice of songs and a few wardrobe changes, Leon ended his song with much enthusiasm as though he was just starting to warm up. All the while, the untiring sweet smile never left his lips.

The more I looked at him, the more he became unfamiliar to me. The unsettling thoughts came flooding into my head as soon as Louella Cole entered the stage for their rendition of Way Back Into Love.

It was odd how the way they smiled and looked at each other teasingly didn’t perturb me at all when I remembered being in the brink of tears simply thinking about it yesterday.

Maybe I was immune.

It was also weird how I felt differently about the way he spoke while I loved his singing voice. However, I shook the thoughts away and decided to try my very best to enjoy the concert without any more irrational worries.

I smiled whenever Becky turned to face me with enthralled eyes. At least one of us was happy and somehow, the grin of my best friend’s childlike face seemed to give enough comfort for me to keep still on my seat.

After a break, where Louella sang and danced on her own number so Leon could rest for a while, he came back wearing a simple black T-shirt with a print Take Me to Your Leader and a green alien doing a peace sign with three fingers. I’d remember to mention to Leon how nerdy and cute that shirt was later.

Now that’s my Leon. I smiled at the thought of him showing up in his geek suit, wondering what his fans would think.

Instead of the customary red rhythm guitar, Leon sat in front of the grand concert piano at the leftmost part of the stage. Before placing his hands on the keys, he faced the anticipating audience and gave a smile that was almost awkward as though he was nervous. As if.

After a couple of deep breaths he leaned over to the microphone and fixed his blue eyes on our direction. Though, through the bright lights I doubted if he could see me.

“This song is for someone really special to me.” His voice sounded familiar now. It was like we were just talking face to face. This is the real Leon, I told myself. No pretenses. “If it weren’t for you I wouldn’t be the happiest guy on earth. You know who you are.” He added as his fingers begun to strike the keys.

With a loud scream, Becky hugged me, laughing at the top of her lungs though a bit drowned by the roar of applause from the audience.

“Your ears should be clapping right now Miss you-know-who-you-are!” She shouted on my ear.

Before I could reply, I already felt the warm blush on my cheeks. Good thing it was dark and no one would see me or else I’d probably end up looking worse than the Mad Hatter in the Alice in the Wonderland movie.

As if in a trance I immediately recognized the song he was playing. It was Your Song. The one Winfred taught me. I closed my eyes to hold back the mist that blurred my vision. Why am I such a cry baby? It was as though my heart was melting as I was reminded how much I love him and him, me.

All those things I feared the most did not matter at all. I made them all up.

There were tears on the corner of my eyes as the song ended. Leon played two more songs and went backstage to change again for the finale.

Becky gave me a slight nudge on the elbow.

“I am now officially envious of you Sarah Banana.” She whispered to me with a teasing smile. “You’re like the most perfect unexpected couple. Oh my gosh! He’s totally into you!” She gushed with shrill excitement.