donna

what if i met donna?

"Honey, we're going to go over to the new neighbors house and drop off a pie. Get your jacket on and let's go!"

"Mom, I have to finish my thank-you letter to Mr. Truman for taking for watching us at the zoo last week. Next time, please."

"Oh, all right. I suppose if it's for school work."

* * * * *

"Mom why are there moving trucks at the Millers' house? Weren't they only here for like a month?"

"Oh honey, didn't you hear? Susan's mother passed away and the entire family's moving back to Colorado to help her mom."

"Really? I barely even got to know them."

"It's a shame. Lovely family."

* * * * *

"Oh I'm so sorry! I just spilled coffee all over your clothes. And it's a suit too! Damn it, I'm sorry. I'm just such a klutz."

"No, no. Don't worry about it. I was going to burn this suit anyway."

"Huh? You know, it's not important. Just let me pay for your dry-cleaning."

"You don't need to. Really. It's fine."

* * * * *

April 8, 1992

"Honey, we're going to go over to the new neighbors house and drop off a pie. Get your jacket on and let's go!" My mom called from the door of my room, one hand balancing a blueberry pie.

"Okay, mom, just let me finish my thank you letter to Mr. Truman," My small hands tightly gripped the pencil as it flew across the sheet of refill paper. I quickly signed my name at the bottom with flourish, "Finished!" I declared proudly, hopping off his wooden stool and shrugging on a parka.

My mother held my right hand while my father held the left. I always insisted that at seven-years old, they didn't need to do that anymore but they always managed to hold on.

We trotted down the pathway and up to the door of the bright yellow, one-storey house adjacent from ours. The new neighbours were outside admiring the front lawn. They looked happy and cheery, like all new neighbours must.

"Hiya newbies!" My father greeted with a big grin on his face. He outstretched his arm, "I'm Alfred Laley and this is my wife Jane. We live right across the street so we decided to pop by and see how you lot are settling in."

The man of the other household, who was about a 6'4 tower of terror and chub, gladly shook his hand, "Pleasure to meet you I'm Jim Miller and this is my wife Susan." He gestured to the young lady who was admiring the flower patch.

A young girl, clad in denim overalls ran out of the door, her eyes bright, "Daddy, daddy!" She cried, tugging on his leg, "Can you go to the sweets shop and get some candy?"

He laughed fondly, "Sure, sweetheart. Susan, do you mind taking her?"

"Oh not all!"

The little girl turned to the us, eyes wide with curiosity. The first thing I noticed was her bright red hair that was pulled into two braids that were coming undone.

Mr. Miller said, "This is our daughter, Donna. She'll be going to Parkhurst School." She waved at us and I saw purple streaks of paint on the palm of her hand.

My dad took me by the shoulders, "This is our son, Dylan. He goes to that school too. He can even help show Donna around if she ever gets lost. What do you say, Dyl?"