Chapter 4: Party for Two

~Photo of Addison Larks above~

ALEXANDER

~*~*~

The bastard lied to me. Well, he didn't actually tell me what kind of banquet we were going to. But he definitely didn't inform me about it being a freaking baby shower.

His sister's baby shower, no less.

When we arrived at his sister's home, I nearly choked on my own spit. It was just as lavish as Larks' home, if not fancier. It had a long driveway the size of a football field -that seems to be the only description I can give to explain these massive plots of land the Larks' estates seemed to have- which happened to be full of automobiles at the moment. The long path was set with polished granite stone, smooth to the touch, but rough enough it was impossible to slip on. At the entrance to the mansion, a set of double doors six times my size towered with intricate glass panes nestled into the frames. Two giant, black winged angels stood face to face on the glass panes of the doors, both holding what looked to be a staff in their hands. They mirrored each other perfectly, wings folded against their backs.

Above the entrance sat a large balcony, including two windows and a glass door between them. The rest of the house would require too much observation, with a wrap-around patio along the entire structure. The whole exterior was a soft, creamy beige with indigo tiles placed here and there in different patterns along the outside walls. Did I mention palm trees lined the entire driveway?

I stepped out of  bo-hunk Pennsylvania straight into goddamn Beverly Hills.

"Muskrat, you're taking a while sight-seeing. Anytime now. I'd love to actually make it to the party."

I shot Larks a dangerous glower and took hold of his hand, placing it on my shoulder. I continued my way up the steps and stopped in front of the two goth angels. "My god, Larks. Where have you taken us? Purgatory?"

A deep chuckle resonated from Preston's chest as he squeezed my shoulder gently. "Don't worry, Alex, my sister just has a dark sense of fashion. It's simply her personality on display. I promise, she won't eat you."

"Yeah, well, her dark angels might," I grumbled as I opened the door to the mansion. 

It swung open, too slow for my liking, but when it was wide enough that I could slip through, I helped guide Preston inside and made my way toward the sound of voices. Like I had predicted, everyone was out in the backyard. So, I pulled the boss-man along with me to the porch, staring out in astonishment at just how many people showed up for his sister's baby shower.

"Pretzel, you made it! I didn't think you'd show up!"

I had only just heard the woman's voice before my shoulder was left cold and barren. I blinked in surprise as the woman standing before me smothered Preston in a hug. Oddly enough, he didn't mind one bit. Instead, much to my amazement -and my chagrin, but I won't admit that out loud- he hugged her back. A foreign sense of envy washed over me, to see such a callous, serious person light up like a goddamn Christmas tree over one woman. I wouldn't admit how hollow it made me feel out loud, though.