7: Over and Over

I'll Be Your Man - The Black Keys

Sexual content warning ;)

_________________

The arrow sailed and swished through the air like lightening and hit the painted white circle on the tree.

"Nice one," Kate chuckled. "Now throw this knife."

"Aren't I the teacher?" Lewis piped in from his seat on the ground.

"You're not doing anything to help, you're too busy daydreaming. Evie here," 

I threw the crossbow to Lewis and smirked when it hit him in the lap. He glared at me before rolling his eyes. Kate handed me a combat knife. Soldiers used these knives according to Lewis.

"Wait." Lew stood placing the crossbow on the ground. "Let's play a game," He said as he walked over to the two bags he brought with him every time we went training out here in the woods. "See this?" He rifled through the bags and suddenly Katherine was by my side shaking her head. Obviously she'd seen what was about to happen. Her wild eyes and clenching fists was a tell tale sign.

He pulled out a small bottle that would usually hold something like vanilla extract or food colouring and for a minute I just stared at it.

Lewis held the bottle in front of me for what seemed like forever until I realised what it was and gasped.

"Why the hell have you got that?"

"Just in case one of you injures yourself. Michael graciously gave me a few vials of blood."

"Friggin' nutcase." Kate mumbled, walking around him. "You can't and won't do it. Michael will flip."

I narrowed my gaze. "Can't and won't what?" 

"Fight me, of course. Then again you're not a vampire and if you stab me which you won't anyway, I won't exactly bounce back."

"And he refuses to take vampire blood," Kate added. "So if you kill him then that's it. Although I 'see' you won't but, Evie if you do this you'll-" 

"Don't tell her, I want to see for myself." Lew advanced toward me and my eyes widened, gripping the handle of the blade tighter.

"I'm just as fast as a vampire Evie." Lew explained as he threw a punch I narrowly missed. Shit, ah, oh dear. A proud looking smile crossed his face as he threw another I ducked by the skin of my teeth and stumbled back a little. 

I'm going to die. 

"You're pretty fast, which I've noticed. But you need to have faster reflexes to avoid and stab a vampire. Whether it's a new one or not." And just like that he threw three more punches, one of which I pushed away with my free hand, another that skimmed my hip and I flinched and the other I flicked the tip of the knife along his wrist.... By accident!

"Ah, Lew I'm- oft!" His arm wrapped around my neck and he brought my back into his chest with a hard thump. The arm around my neck tightening and his other arm gripping both of my wrists trying to pry the knife from my hand.

"Lewis," Katherine warned but I couldn't listen. He was cutting off my damn air supply. "Lewis don't-!"

The knife that was previously in my hands was now being pressed into my abdomen and I winced at the prick of the blade. I clawed at his arm grumbling his name, aware my vision was fading.

But then he was yanked away from me.

I inhaled sharply, putting my hands to my knees and hyperventilated for a few seconds before turning my gaze toward him. It was Nate. He glanced at my waist before glaring at him.