Chapter One: This isn't New York?

Chapter One: This Isn't New York?

"You don't deserve to see Riya!" Somebody yelled.

           "Like hell I do!" I recognized the voice as Zayn's. Why are they yelling while I'm trying to sleep?

            "If it weren't for you, she wouldn't be in here and she'd still remember me!" 

            I was speechless when I saw Dr. Hoffman in between the two men, who were furiously yelling at each other. 

            "If you boys don't calm down, I'll have no choice but to bring in security and ban you from seeing Miss Riya during visitor’s hours." Dr. Hoffman warned.

            Zayn and his friend ignored Dr. Hoffman as they continued their yelling match. "Get out, Zayn!" 

            "You don't deserve her!" Zayn fired back. What does that mean? I thought I was dating him? Why would he say that to his friend? All the yelling and confusion was clearly causing a headache to form.

            Zayn immediately regretted his words as he slapped his mouth shut. His friend looked taken aback. They were silent for a few moments until I spoke up. 

            "Why are you guys fighting?" Unlike before, my voice sounded a lot more like me, strong and a bit girly.

            As soon as I spoke Zayn's friend, or I guess frenemy, rushed to my side while Zayn gave me one final gaze and fled the room. Where's he going? I wanted to reach out to him and call him back in but something told me that wasn't such a good idea.

            "Who are you?" I asked Zayn's friend.

            He looked hesitant at first and I saw tears forming in his eyes. "Liam. Liam Payne."

            "Oh." Was all I said. What else was there to say? He probably already knew my name, considering he was yelling it at Zayn.

            "I'm your boyfriend."

            Now, that was unexpected. If I was drinking water I would’ve done a major spit take. I wanted to keep cool, but my eyes betrayed me as they instantly filled with water. "What about Zayn?"

            Liam sighed. "I forgot I had to explain everything to you." He muttered.

            "You and Zayn broke up--"

            "Why?" I asked before he could continue. I thought we were in love with each other. I loved him so much that it hurt. Why would we brake up?

            Liam sighed and ignored my question. "A couple months later I asked you out. We were dating for about a year and then," Liam looked for the right words as he found a seat next to me on the bed. "This happened."

            I wanted to recoil from his touch but knew that would hurt his feelings. So I let this stranger play with my hands. "I sound like a whore." I commented. Liam tensed and looked at me seriously.

         "No, you're not. Don't ever say that again, Riya. Even if you're joking." His tone was deadly serious and not one trace of humor laced his words. Liam noticed my fear and quickly relaxed. "I actually, never gave up on asking you out. So it's partially my fault."

            "In other words you didn't leave me alone until I said yes to your dinner plans."

            Liam tilted his head back as he laughed. "Basically, yeah."