Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Sunny Taylor

I opened my eyes, rubbing at them to clear up the blurriness. I took in my surroundings and immediately could pinpoint where I was, the hospital.

I looked over to my right and saw I was hooked up machines. I glanced to my left and saw Anthony asleep in a chair and Blake standing and looking out the window. I tried to say something but my throat was tight and dry, so I basically just croaked.

Blake's head snapped towards me and he happily said, "You're awake! Thanks goodness. We were so worried you had too much blood loss."

I nodded and smiled at his happiness, but pointed as the water that was out of my reach and he rushed over, opening it and putting it to my lips. I tried to reach up and grab it, but the IV in my arm kept me from that.

He knelt down next to me, using one hand to cup my face, and examining it. He smiled at me sadly and said, "I am so sorry for any pain that the accident caused you. I didn't think he would swerve like that, I just thought he would stop."

I thought about what he said for a moment before realizing what he had just told me. He was the one in the road... He saved me.

I finally spoke, "Oh my gosh, you save me. Thank you so much. Come closer so I can hug you."

He obliged, scooting even closer and wrapping his arms around me. I wrapped my free arm around him and buried my head in the crook of his neck. He did the same to me.

The doctor came in and awoke my brother, whom I greeted and he expressed his concerns for me.

The doctor told me I could go in an hour, once all the discharge papers were filled out, which Anthony got right to doing. It was awkward to do. He had to make sure they didn't contact Ross or my mother.

Finally, I was released and Blake insisted on pushing my wheelchair out to the car. I could walk, not well but I could, but that's just what they did at the hospital.

We went back to the house, and Anthony gave Blake and I some space after having given Blake a private talk.

Blake came into my room and I sat up expectedly. He rubbed the back of his neck as he shut the door, saying, "Your brother is like a father. He really cares about you and your safety. Good thing."

I smiled and he sat next to me, wrapping an arm around me. I smiled as I laid my head against his chest.

He rubbed my back and kissed the top of my head one last time before going rigid. He was quiet for a minute, very stiff, as if someone was talking to him, and he finally said, "I need to go Sunny, but I will see you Monday. I think Olivia is coming tomorrow. We want one of us with you or checking up on you at all times from now on."

He kissed my cheek and left, leaving me reeling for more of him. More of his scent, his lips, his everything.

His heart.

I sighed, lying back and cringing from the pain. I reached over and grabbed the pill bottle my doctor gave me, carelessly popping in a pill. He said the max I should take is two every 6 hours. I have a feeling I was going to need more than that.

I reached under me and grabbed the letters. I noticed they were not really in place. It seemed as if someone had gone through them. But they were all there.

I opened up the next one and was going to begin reading when there was a knock on my door. I quickly shoved the letters back under and smiled innocently at my brother.

He walked in and sat on my bed, saying, "Now do you see why I was so hard on you the other day when you came home from the party? You are small, ow, and my point is you are an easy target."