Uneasy~Chapter fourteen

(A.N.- So sorry, I know this is late<3)

“So how was your Christmas break?” I heard Sam ask me as soon as I walked into the school.

“It was fine.” I shrugged.

“Just fine?” She quirked an eyebrow up at me.

“Yeah, there was really nothing special about it. It was just a time to relax.” I failed mentioning the elevator incident. Sam was a very sweet girl, but something about her made me feel a little uneasy.

Maybe I can tell Hunter., I thought to myself.

“So, where’s Hunter?” I changed the subject before she could say anything else.

“Hmm,” She thought for a while. “I actually don’t know. Maybe he got sick. I’ll text him.” She smiled and pulled out her phone. She quickly typed something and waited for a reply.

            Sam leaned against the wall and continued to wait, as it seemed it took Hunter a year to answer her. She carefully scanned the message and replied.

“He’s on his way to school now.” She smiled.

            It was quite obvious how much she liked Hunter. I didn’t understand how he didn’t see it, because her face lights up and she smiles widely at the mention of his name. Every time they’re with each other, she seems to cling to him like a poor defenseless puppy.

“Alright.” I gave her a small smile. “I should head to class, see you later.”

“Bye!” She shouted after me as I walked away.

            I was walking in the hallway when I felt my body make contact with something tall and strong. I guessed I zoned out while walking and I didn’t notice. I pulled my gaze away from the floor to see Xander standing in front of me.

“Xander? What are you doing here?” I asked curiously.

“So, now I can’t get an education?” He chuckled softly. “I used to be home schooled; now I’m here.” He smiled.

“You were home schooled? Awesome,” I smiled. “How was it?”

“Well, my parents rarely taught me—they were always working—so it was basically a huge vacation.”

I nodded and he pulled me into a soft hug.

“Wanna show me around?” He asked and he rocked us slightly.

I giggled and pulled away. “Sure. Do you know if any of your friends go here?”

“I only really know you.”

“Really, why?”

“My parents keep me isolated in the hotel. I’ve been asking to come here for a few years. Their answer was always a flat out ‘no.’.” He shrugged.

“What made them change their minds?”

“Well, I told them I knew someone here…and then, uh, I guess that changed their minds.” He seemed hesitant while speaking, but I decided not to push it.

I nodded. “Can I see your schedule?”

He quickly dug through his—already messy—book bag. “Here ya go.” He handed me his wrinkled schedule.

I quickly looked over it.

I was surprised to find out that our schedules matched exactly. We didn’t have a single class different. It gave me a weird feeling, considering the school was always sure they would never do that, but I shrugged it off.

“We both have the same schedule.” I looked up at him again. “Exactly the same.”

He nodded—not looking surprised at all.

            Considering we both had the same schedule, I only showed him the few important rooms of the school. After that, we both walked slowly in an uncomfortable silence.

“So,” Xander was the first to break the silence. “How was your break?”

I shrugged. “It was fine. How was yours?” I instantly felt stupid for asking him that. “Wait, I take it back.” I tried, and laughed out of embarrassment.

            In every class, Xander was told to sit next to me. Although in most of my classes someone already sat next to me, they were all replaced by Xander. I felt extremely uncomfortable, but I still tried to ignore it.

            I frowned slightly when in photography class Hunter was ordered to move his seat. I was slightly looking forward to telling him about what happened in the elevator.

Now I have to wait., I thought angrily to myself.

            I thought about hanging out with him, but Sam would get extremely angry if I made plans to hang out with Hunter that didn’t include her. She barely knew me, and I didn’t want her to think I would steal hunter away from her. The thought of telling her too crossed my mind, but then I thought about the downside to it. She gave off a ‘gossipy’ vibe. I didn’t feel as though I could trust her. I sighed softly, and felt Xander’s warm hand rest on my arm. I looked over to him.

“Yeah?” I asked softly.

“Are you okay?” He asked, with a slight sign of fake concern.

“Oh, yeah. I’m just super tired.” I faked a yawn and smiled after.

He nodded his head carefully, but he didn’t look as though he bought it.

            Something about Xander also gave me a weird vibe.

Maybe it’s just you., I counteracted my own thoughts.

            I looked down at my table to find a small folded piece of paper. I quietly unfolded it and read it.

Hey, you okay? And don’t pull that ‘tired’

crap on me.

-Hunter.

            I looked in front of me, I didn’t notice before, but Hunter was placed in front of me. I let out a soft laugh as I wrote back.

A lot on my mind?

I need to tell you something.

But, no Sam.

            I carefully tossed the small piece of lined paper onto Hunter’s desk. I watched as he lifted his arm and he quickly scribbled back a reply, before throwing the paper back.

Come over my house today after school.

Don’t worry, I won’t

tell Sam. [;

            I sent him back an ‘okay’. I mentally sighed. Although excited to hang out with Hunter, there was a nagging feeling in the back of my head telling me not to hang out with him. I knew Sam would kill me if she found out.

(A.N.- Thanks for reading, love you all<3)