Chapter 5

It had been two and a half weeks since I had arrived at Camp Merrimack and I was happy that my mum had got me the job. Rick and Silver were great and our group of campers were hilarious once you hung out with them for long enough. As for me and Taylor, we had gotten pretty close. She was actually an amazing girl the more I got to know her. She made me laugh, she was extremely intelligent, and I think she found me quite funny which was always a bonus. And then there was her undeniable charm that had me falling for her every second and she was completely clueless to it all. At least I was convincing myself I was coping.

Today was our first sports day; also known as my worst nightmare. Each team had been paired with another team to compete against for the day. I don't know what was up with Rebecca and making half the activities we did a competition. I had managed to avoid taking part in any of the events and now I was by the rock climbing wall watching Rick and one of the campers take on the challenge. Sighing at my own lack of participation, I crossed my arms looking around until I noticed Taylor was walking my way. Quickly turning my head back so I was facing the climbing wall, I tried to compose myself.

"Hey Henderson." I started chuckling at the fact that she had gotten so used to calling me that. "Why do you call me that? I mean I know it's my name, but I do have a first name too. First being the key word." Chuckling at my response, she put her arm around my shoulder before replying. How does she expect me to concentrate with our bodies touching?

"It sounds so cool, I can't help it. So how about it?" Looking up at her, she was staring at the climbing wall. Oh god no. "I'm okay thank you, observing is enough fun for me," I replied while vigorously shaking my head. "Oh come on Henderson, they're nearly done and then we can just climb it for fun. You can't just stand here looking pretty all day." Taking her arm from off my shoulder she was now facing me with a puppy dog look on her face. "Don't give me those eyes Taylor, I am not climbing that wall!" I closed my eyes to avoid giving in.

"Fine, be a chicken." Opening my eyes, I gasped at her name calling. "I am not a chicken thank you very much!"

"I'll take that as a yes then." Grinning at me, Taylor grabbed my hand and began walking over to the instructors. Sighing, I accepted that I was actually going to do this and tried to listen as much as possible to what the instructors had to say.

"Okay guys, you ready?" one of the instructors asked. Taylor and I were standing at the bottom of the wall, she looked so adorable with her helmet on and she was grinning from ear to ear. "Yeah we're ready," Taylor replied whilst I just nodded my head. This couldn't be too hard, it was just climbing; I used to climb things all the time when I was little, what kid didn't. As long as I didn't embarrass myself too much I was fine.

Taylor reached the top with ease. I was slower...much slower. By the time I reached the top, I was completely out of breath, but proud of myself for actually doing it and not giving up. "I take it back, you're not a chicken after all," Taylor said giving me her winning smile. "Thanks...I guess," I replied, frowning a little before giving into her contagious smile and grinning back.

"You ready to get down?" she questioned. "Definitely," I said sounding a little too eager, which caused her to giggle before signalling to the two men at the bottom of the wall that we were ready. Once we were down and out of the gear we were wearing, Taylor gave me a hug (she smelt absolutely amazing) before telling me that she had fun and that she'd see me back at the main cabin. She then walked off to meet her team. Sighing I went and found Rick and Silver, I was now in the mood to take part which made Rick ecstatic.

Back at the main cabin, scores were tallied and once again Taylor's team came first, which she was so happy about as her team had come second the last two times peppy Rebecca decided to have a competition day.