Bittersweet: Chapter Thirty-Five

THIS BOOK IS CURRENTLY BEING REWRITTEN AND HEAVILY EDITED. NAMES, PLACES, AND SOME SCENES WILL BE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. SOME STUFF WILL BE TAKEN OUT AND SOME WILL BE ADDED.

THE INITIAL PLOT STAYS THE SAME.

So, if you begin reading as of 5/21/2021 and choose to read ahead further than I have updated-some things might be confusing or might not make sense. As of right now and will continue, slowly, adding the new chapters as I write them. CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE has been rewritten & updated.

**IF A CHAPTER HAS BEEN REWRITTEN/EDITED THE ^^ABOVE^^ NOTE WILL BE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CHAPTER.

Chapter Thirty-Five

Eliza

The waiting room at the Magnolia Elite Medical Group was far fancier than anything I'd ever seen in my entire life. It was so fancy that as soon as I stepped into the place, I automatically retreated a few steps thinking that there was no possible way I was in the right place because nothing about this place screamed doctor's office. Well, other than the dozen equally pregnant women and their excited partners scattered around the room.

Seeing that I wasn't the only one with a god-awful, waddling gait and a growing belly was the only reason I didn't jet out of there the moment I walked in.

In the entryway stood a glass table with an expansive bouquet of colorful flowers smack dab in the middle. A faint lavender fragrance permeated the air automatically calmed my senses. The place had shiny, marble floors and large, oh-so-comfortable suede chairs that beckoned me as soon as I walked in those double doors. Perhaps it was only because I'd spent the last two hours cramped up in the little Chevrolet Chevette that Terra had let me borrow for this special occasion.

Special occasion. I shuddered and silently scolded myself for not being as excited as I should have been at that moment. It's not that I wasn't excited. Jesus, the anticipation leading up to this special day damn near killed me. But now that it was here, my nerves were getting the best of me, and not in a good way.

Stop.

After I checked myself in at the reception, I snagged a pamphlet. When I turned around, my eyes feasted on the area, looking for an empty chair. Preferably a secluded one, but I wouldn't be picky. Most of the time, I was lucky if I found a seat in the tiny waiting room at my doctor's office back home. And it wasn't because Dr. Milner was the best OB-GYN in Holly Ridge, Mississippi. It was just that small.

Space was clearly no issue for the Magnolia Elite Medical Group, and for that I was thankful.

My eyes landed on a lone chair in the corner of the room, away from the bulk of the couples who appeared perfectly happy chatting it up with each other. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hold a conversation right now. Therefore, I didn't want to put myself in any position where I'd have to speak to anyone other than the doctor and it worked but that didn't mean I could shut myself off from hearing conversations amongst them that were equally hard to endure.

Due dates. Boy or girl. Twins. Birthing plans. Breastfeeding. Happiness is etched out on each of their faces. Holding hands. Men protectively and carefully holding their partner's bellies.

I was the odd one out-the only woman in that room that didn't have someone by her side. I knew it would be hard to endure beforehand, but I didn't think it would be this gut-wrenching. This disappointing. Maybe it was juvenile to feel the way I did, but I couldn't just turn it off.

Looking away from the people surrounding me, I sunk down deeper into the chair and laid my head back against the headrest.

Yes, I said it-the headrest. As I said, it's a real ritzy joint. I shouldn't have been surprised. This clinic was one of the only clinics in the state of Mississippi that had the special equipment for a 3D sonogram. This is a big deal. I'm sure plenty of wealthy women traveled to this city from all over the state just to find out the gender of their baby.