INTO THE FREE

“A young girl growing into adolescence confronts family abuse and a dark past in this lyrical debut novel. Millie Reynolds and her mother live in a ramshackle cabin in Depression-era Mississippi, occasionally receiving unwelcome visits from the violent family patriarch, Jack. With her only friend, Sloth, dead and gone, Millie struggles to find any happiness with a “nothing mama” and a ruthless father. Only the passing caravans of gypsies offer her any semblance of belonging. But when unlucky events engulf her, she discovers some surprising secrets that eventually help her hope in God’s love. Cantrell’s exquisitely written story immerses readers in a world that is as cruel as it is beautiful. From the opening lines to the very last sentence, the book’s magnetic prose bewitches and enthralls on every page. A visceral and gripping journey of a young woman’s revelations about God and self, this novel will surely excite any reader who appreciates a compelling story about personal struggle and spiritual resilience.”

 - Publisher’s Weekly STARRED REVIEW

Into the Free has become both a New York Times and USA TODAY Bestseller. It received two Christy Awards: one for Debut Novel of the Year and the grand prize Book of the Year. The book also earned the Mississippi Library Association's Fiction Award and was selected by USA TODAY and Lifeway Christian Stores as a Top Read of 2012.

The sequel, When Mountains Move, hits shelves September 1, 2013.

Learn more: www.juliecantrell.com