Chapter 19

Chapter 19

“No mini bar?” Caroline asked, looking in the mini fridge inside our huge stretch limo. 

Emma, Pax, and I laughed. 

“No mini bar,” I confirmed.  “Just bottled water.”

She reached in, grabbed one, and took a drink of it.  She sighed as she put the top back on.  “I was hoping they were sneaking us some vodka,” she said.

We all started laughing again.

We had spent practically the entire day getting ready for the dance.  Since my mom knew how to basically do everything with hair and makeup, she did all of ours.  Hey, it saved having to go to a salon. 

I was surprised that she liked my dress as much as she did.  She knew exactly what to do with my hair and makeup also.  My hair was in a side bun with a few loose curls around my face and my eyes were done in gold shadow with thick lashes and I had red lipstick on. 

Everyone else looked amazing.  And when we got together to take pictures, I had to say we were probably going to be the best looking girls there.

About twenty minutes later, we pulled up in front of the hotel where the dance was being held.  Once we got out and walked inside, we could already hear the pounding music from the hotel ballroom where the dance was being held. 

Walking in through the double doors to the room, at first all I could see were the thousands of twinkling lights hanging from the ceiling.  There was a huge dance floor, where a lot of people were already at, in front of the DJ.  Round tables and chairs surrounding it with huge bouquets of flowers and crystals were in the center of each. 

Almost everyone turned to look at us when we walked in.  Maybe of the girls narrowed their eyes at us and almost all of the guys looked at us with lust in their eyes. 

Scanning the crowd, I saw Mitch, Zack, and their other friends sitting at one of the tables in the back corner.  They were passing something around, most likely a flask filled with something. 

When my eyes wandered over toward the table where all of the food and punch bowl was, there was Kane, standing behind it talking with one of the other teachers who was chaperoning. 

“I’ll be right back,” I said.  “I’m going to get something to drink.”

Caroline and Emma were still looking around but Pax was looking over at Kane.  She looked back at me with a sly smile on her face.  I just rolled my eyes and started toward him. 

No one was at the table except for Kane when I made it over there.  I picked up a cup, wondering when he’d notice me standing there, but he was scanning the room like he was watching for someone.

“So, you’re the one to watch out for people who want to spike the punch?” I asked, bringing the cup to my lips. 

“That’d be me,” he said, still scanning the room.  He didn’t even notice it was me. 

But when his eyes passed over me and snapped back quickly, his jaw dropped for just a moment before he composed himself. 

I started laughing.  “Good catch,” I said. 

“Reece…” he started, looking over me.  He couldn’t seem to find the words.

“So you think I look good?” I asked quietly so no one would hear. 

“You look absolutely beautiful,” he breathed, still staring at me.

I felt the blush spread across my cheeks.  “Thanks,” I said, and looked at him in his tux.  “So do you.  Handsome, I mean.  Not beautiful.  Well…”