Chapter 14 - Destruction

Chapter 14

Destruction

____________________________________________________________________________ 

Leira’s POV 

   What we see as we skid around the corner was beyond belief.

The town was empty; everyone must have ran for cover when the first wave of stones hit, abandoning everything in their wake. The stone benches have huge chunks dug out of them, the stalls bright and colourful canvas awnings lay broken, the tattered strips quivering with each fresh assault. An occasional loud pang can be heard when stone meets metal, while the juice from the exploded fruit leak out, staining the ice.

    At the center of it all this swirling chaos is Sofi.

    She hovered inches from the ground, her short hair blows wildly around her face by a wind no one can feel.  A white glow surrounds her floating form and with every twitch of her hand lightning would strike the ground in front of her, sending a shower of stone chips into the air. At her feet a figure lay cowering while another laid unmoving away to her left.

    A stray bolt explodes to our left and we run for cover.

    Under the cover of a badly damaged walkway, we huddled together so close our heads touched but we still have to shout to be heard.

    “Did you know she could do that?” Ariel mind yells at me in panic.

    “No! You’re the all seeing one, didn’t you?”

    Ariel eyes just narrow stares at me till Griff’s shout brakes her focus.

   "Who is that?" Pointing at the figure at Sofi’s feet.

   “Aaron!” Ariel and I yell together.

   "What can do we do? We can’t leave her like this." Griffin screams, worried eyes switch from me to Ariel and back again.

    "I don't know! I don't know! One thing for sure we have to get Aaron out of there, fast! Suggestions?" The sound of another explosion drowned out my words.

  "I got this!" Jared yelled before standing up.

   Aaron went skidding across the ground and under a walkway, the other bodies scattered around quickly followed.

   "Good job! Griff you see what you can do to fix them!" I ordered.

  "No! I want to help here!" Stubbornly he refused to more.

   "You will be helping, things will be so much worse for her if someone dies!" I reasoned.

   Griff nods and ran off using bits of fallen rocks for cover.

 “Do you really think this can be any worse?” Ariel’s pessimistic thoughts interrupted my plans.

   “I wont go down without a fight. You might not believe that fate can be changed, but just watch me.” I love my sister, but sometimes it causes her to give up to fast.

   "Right I have an idea. You two distract her; I'll be right back."

Ariel POV

   ‘Distract her? Distract her! How the hell are we supposed to distract a raging water elemental?’ My mind yells at Lei’s retreating back, but with no reply. Typical!

  I look at Jared praying he has a better idea before doing the only thing I could think of…

  I grabbing one of the fallen chunks from the ground I shoot up and throw the rock at her.