Chapter Four: Troublemaker

I stared at Holly for the longest amount of time. "You’re lying," I blurted out.

She rose her eyebrows in disbelief. "Really?" She said, crossing her arms over her chest.

I shrugged. "Well that's the only thing I could think of at a time like this."

"Okay look let's just go in there and everything will be fine, okay?" She said, trying to convince me.

I nodded. "Okay," I said linking my arms with Holly as we headed towards the doors of the cafeteria. When I suddenly stopped.

"What's the matter?"

I kept my eyes trained on my feet. "Holls, is there any way you are mistaken?"

"What do you mean?" She asked confused.

I shrugged my eyes meeting hers. "Will he really crush me? He doesn’t even know me! It was an accident, I never intended to bump into him.”

She sighed. "I am so sorry." She said, nodding her head. "But I did tell you to stay-"

I waved my hand interrupting her. "Do not say ‘I told you so’ at a time like this." I said, menacingly.

She shrugged, not bothering to say anything else.

I let out a sigh. I was really hoping for a different answer, rather than the one I had gotten.

"Well we are talking about Gavin Storm. He’s full of surprises so, good luck cuz." She said, looking quite amused.

I gave her a look. "Why do you seem amused about all of this?”

"Well for one I was right and you were wrong and two if there was anyone who could tame Gavin or even resist his player ways. It would be you." She said, seriously.

"Thanks. But I am not as strong as you think."

She shrugged. "Stop underestimating yourself Alice. Now I don't know about you but I am hungry and my stomach seems to keep making dying whale sounds." She said, sticking out her flat belly and patting it.

I nodded and together we made our way inside of the cafeteria. We were walking towards an empty table, when they were people whispering and staring at us, well mostly me.

"I feel so bad for her."

"She's not even that pretty, why would Gavin pick her?"

"Hey, isn't she Ben's girlfriend?"

I felt Holly's arm tighten at the mention of me being Ben's girlfriend. We finally made it to the empty cafeteria table. I took out my lunch from my book bag.

It was a grilled cheese sandwich, I dug deeper into my lunch bag, but there was nothing else.

"Where are you going?" I heard her call, but I ignored her and kept walking towards the lunch line.

I grabbed a water bottle and paid for it. The lunch lady looked at me weirdly, it was either because she has never seen me before, or she also heard the news about the encounter with Gavin. And judging by the way everybody is looking at me, I was not surprised. I soon began to make my way back over to where Holly was sitting.

I heard laughter from the table I was passing by, turning my head, I noticed how the table was filled with students wearing uniform. It was either a football one or a cheerleader outfit. But, what stood out the most was the boy who was wearing ordinary clothes but had a cheerleader on his lap.  

Must be the popular table.

My eyes wandered as I looked at the boy more clearly. It took me a few seconds but I finally realized it was the same person I ran into the halls, Gavin. I quickly turned around, because his head snapped in my direction, probably noticing my stares.