Chapter 1 - Training

As Samyaza stared into the morning sky waiting for Lucius, his new trainee to arrive, he asked himself Does humanity really need us or do we angels need humanity? Better yet, does humanity need God, or does God need humanity? This question that had been on Samyaza's mind for some time. Although it had been rarely discussed publicly, other angels had begun to ask themselves these questions as well. Mankind was growing - culturally and numerically and seemed to require the help of God and angels less and less. In the few thousand years since their creation, humanity had become a proud species; violent and unruly. What will become of them? What will become of us? Samyaza's wondered. 

The morning was bright and the sky was clear and blue; just as Samyaza liked it. Days like this made him happy to be Guardian angel assigned to duty on earth. He would have preferred if his trainee had been paired with someone else the next thirty days, but he understood why he had been chosen. Over time he had proved to his superior officers that he had a special talent for training highly skilled and competent Guardians. Many of his former trainees had receive Sir glowing assessments and proven to be quite impressive in their responsibilities of protecting mankind from harm and demonic spirits. Nevertheless, he still preferred being able to come and go as he pleased and being stuck with another young trainee was going to cramp his style a while.

A bright flash of light from behind signaled the arrival of his new prot\u00e9g\u00e9. A ten foot oval portal with speckles of blue and white light opened in front of him and a handsome young angel with sandy brown hair, brown eyes and a large smile soon emerged. Lucius turned around almost immediately and looked back in wonderment at the beauty of the portal before it slowly began to dissipate. He all but ignored Samyaza as he stood still trying to take in what he had just seen. 

"Hey kid!" Samyaza yelled, "Over here." 

The young angel turned around quickly, causing the long white robe and the broadsword attached to his waist to spin with him. 

"Sorry Sir", he replied, turning around once again to look at where the portal had been. 

"Your first time through?" 

"Yes Sir. It's really-" 

"Save it" Samyaza said, interrupting him. "You need to realize where you are now or your first time on earth will be your last time." 

"Uh, Y-Yes Sir", Lucius replied embarrassingly. Samyaza's harsh tone unnerved him a bit. Most of the other angels he knew were more benign and rarely, if ever, spoke this gratingly to other angels. 

"I know this is your first time on earth, but if there had been demons waiting here, they would have cut you to pieces. You are not in heaven anymore. Down here, you need to keep your guard up or it's back to the beginning for you. Got it?" 

"Yes Sir", Lucius replied quickly, noting that Samyaza's vernacular was closer to that of a human than an angel. He surmised that it was probably due to the vast amount of time he had spent among mankind as a Guardian.

"I know that I'm being hard on you kid, but it's my job to keep you safe down here and train you the right way." 

"I understand Sir, but actually, I'm not a kid. I'm almost twenty five human years-" 

"You're still a kid. Finish your training and you get to be called something else. Got it?" 

"Yes" 

Samyaza glared and raised his eyebrow. 

"I mean yes Sir." 

Samyaza nodded and began walking away, satisfied that the young angel had addressed him properly.