Bridging the Gap

Author's Note:  I'm just going to come right out and say it - please don't expect this to be a regular thing.  I am in school.  I am preparing for grad school entry.  My family comes first.  My real life is busy.  Writing will have to wait.  But I figured I would try today after all this time.  Honestly, I really never thought I'd write again.  It didn't seem fun anymore - it seemed like it had an agenda.  It wasn't about the story, it was about the competition.  I'm not that kind of writer.  I write to write - I don't write to be popular.  Anyway, here we go.  Hope you enjoy it.

----

"So, you're not going to tell my what happened at all?"

My smile widened, and I wondered if this is what it felt like to be the cat who caught the canary.  I could just imagine a trail of yellow plume feathers all around my mouth and chin as Kaim's eyes stared me down, looking for something to clue him in on my happiness while overlooking the obvious.  It wasn't that I didn't want to tell him.  I just wanted to hold in my emotion even more.  I could hardly believe all that happened this morning.  I was afraid that if I opened my mouth and spoke about it, I'd find out that it was all a dream.

"Zara, I know something happened this morning.  I heard you talking on the phone."  Any attempts to stifle my laughter were met with fierce resistance.  My mouth wanted to open up and let that fluttery, bubbly laughter come flying out.  First, I'm engaged to be married to the love of my life, now this?  I should have come to Thailand a long time ago.  "Are you seriously not going to tell me what's going on?"

"Well, I don't know."  I turned to him, smirking.  As we sat on the deck of room, taking in the sea breezes and the warm rays of the sun, I marveled at how I could be so happy, considering everything that occurred earlier in the morning.  Then again, when one has a new beginning, it's better to be gracious than ungrateful.  "I think I rather enjoy seeing you so freaked out."

"And here I thought you enjoyed seeing me with my eyes rolled back and my back contorted in ways that are normally reserved for Barbie dolls."

"Oh, I enjoy that too, but when you say it like that, it sounds super creepy."  

"I'd like to think as our sexy, sexy version of  'Cirque du Soleil'."

"Yes, but no one is can get tickets to our show - nobody."  I share him unwillingly with the other lionesses in the office.  I wasn't about to be gracious with anyone else.  "Besides, how can you be hitting me up for information when you're staying mum about that conversation on the phone with the manager this morning?"

A blush crept across his face.  "You heard that?"

"Ummhmm," I said with a nod.  "I knew something was up when you let me take a shower on my own - because you never let me do that.  So I showered as quickly as I could and eavesdropped on your little conversation."

His eyes widen in surprised, which made me smile even more.  It was like I'd eaten two birds.  "You twerp!"

"I told you I was the head lioness in charge, Kaim," I replied with a smirk.  "Besides, you can't hurt without learning how to stalk.  I'm surprised you didn't hear all those drops of water hitting the floor."

"Well, I didn't, and I don't appreciate you sneaking up on a guy when he's trying to plan something very nice for you."

Oh, he's so cute when he's pouting.  "Ah, so you admit that you're up to something then.  I knew it..."

"Yes, but you don't know what I'm up to just like I don't know about your phone call this morning."  I moved in front of him, wrapping my arms around his waist.  Mine...all mine.  "Though I'd be willing to share my secrets...if you are, of course."