i. confused

"And now my name is up in lights, but I think you got it right."

"Audrey wake up, your father wants to see you in his office in 30 minutes." Lorena said to the girl with the sleek light brown hair and warm matching eyes. 

"Sure sure, thank you Lorena." She answered, sitting on her king sized bed to look around the room.

The walls painted cream were soothing and light. It was like a shelter. She had so much space. To run, jump, dress, paint and study in there. Some people's apartments were as big as her room. Her life was too blessed and drowned in luxury, and it was the only life she knew of.

And that, astonishingly, lead to her emptiness.

Sure, you've seen Cinderella a million times, you see pictures of children in Africa starving, and then you see fancy buildings and people with Louis Vuittons driving Rolce Royce's and you think no one in that building, wearing that purse and parking that car could ever be unhappy. And it's true sadly, they can't, because the people they love compensate their mistakes with money and a profound materialism that keeps you happy for a few weeks, luckily enough a month, but then it's all gone and for one moment, you're sad. 

What people don't realize is that the ever propestoreous bourgeoisie is fading. There are more problems than most people ever see. 

That's why so many people leave it. At some point you realize how people are usually after you show your money, or that the people you love loose their focus and think that paying the bills is the only importance in living. 

Audrey never blamed her mother for feeling so suffocated in this world. After all she was just a girl in the University of Austin accomplishing her dream of studying art with a scholarship when she met a handsome boy who just happened to study finances when a big oil territory was discovered. And so she married this boy and three years later they were the top 10 richest people in the country and moved to New York with their only daughter. And after 9 years it all got like too much. The private school, the fancy gowns, the attention. Her whole life was perfect, and at the same time being teared down. There was a breaking point, she didn't know which, but there was one. 

And now her daughter felt like she was having one. Audrey felt lucky, but confused. Because her dad should be the one waking her up to talk, not her maid to tell her she has to drive to his office. And now she was going towards her senior year having no idea of what to do with her life, or how to handle high school. It had been 3 years and all she knew is that being pretty and cool wasn't enough, you also had to be rich, uncontrained and have both parents. 

"Are you driving Ms. December?" She was asked when walking towards the front door already dressed.

"No Charlie, I think I'll just take my bike, thank you!" She answered politely, waving the old man off.

It's funny to think she was actually extremely close to the "Help" in her house. There was Lorena who had raised her ever since her mother left, and Charlie the butler who had been with them since they moved to New York. There was also Bertha and Sonja the cooks, willing to make Audrey's skinny body gain some weight every day. They weren't the Help, they were her family, as cliche as that might sound.

 Audrey rode her bike through the streets of Manhattan, looking at all the people. It is a real looney parade when you look closely. People who are so focused on getting to work, they walk hopelessly fast inmersed in their own thoughts and preocupations. The Starbucks cafes everywhere would be crowded with people alone, but talking. Talking to their cellphones or screaming at the workers who got their orders wrong. And then there's the actual looneys, those who walk talking to the air while wearing a multicolored 10 year old shirt. And ironically, in that whole city, those were the most sane. Because they obviously realized how wrong and bad the people in that wide city can be, and found comfort in an imaginary friend.