Faith in Me: Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"So I guess getting shit faced wasn't the greatest idea." Janine Kayley Parker mused to her best friend of four years. Only a year younger than her, said best friend pursed her lips, tapping a black polished finger against her painted dark lips. Her blue eyes drifted away, her expression thoughtful. Rolling over on her small bed, Melody propped herself up against the pale off white wall.

"Well, we've always known you were naughty." Melody snickered.

"You must be joking." Janie said dryly.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" she shot back.

Janie shook her head, frowning. She closed her eyes in a lame attempt to soothe her headache. It didn't work.

They were getting distracted. At this rate, they weren't getting anywhere. She needed a plan, pronto. Royally fucked up wouldn't even begin to describe what Janie had done.

"Okay, well. . . It can't be that bad. Does he know yet?"

Shaking her head again, Janie wanted to hide under her bed covers and never come out again. Having the opportunity to just avoid the situation didn't cut it. The guilt would wreck her for life, or until Silas found out. Her old best friend from highschool. Who was now a famous rock star. He seemed untouchable to her, so why was she so worried?

"I'm afraid to tell him. He's trusted me with it before he got famous. That means a lot, Mel."

"Come on, it wasn't as if you leaked his nudes or something! So what, you lost a stupid book filled with what? Wet dreams and cheesy lyrics written by the rock god Silas Cadence? No biggy."

Janie opened her eyes and turned her head to glare at Melody. Nobody had ever looked at that book. Not even her. Now was definitely not time to joke. She needed to fix this, or at least work up the nerve to tell Silas. But she hadn't seen him in seven years. Plenty of things could happen in seven years. Maybe he wouldn't even care anymore. Janie perked up at the thought but knew it was just wishful thinking. She allowed her mind to drift to that one night.

"You know, this is the highlight of my life." Silas peeked up at Janie under his shaggy black hair, shyly smiling at her. He needed a haircut. Janie smiled back, admiring the way his black hair fell over his stormy blue eyes. They were so dark, Janie wanted to know what it would be like to be gazed at lovingly with those dark flecks swirling around the depths. Biting his pierced lip, he scratched the back of his neck nervously.

"Mine too. Even if I'm leaving." She laughed nervously. The tension was supremely thick. She dipped her head and twiddled her thumbs, unable to bare his intense gaze any longer. Silas shuffled, and what sounded like a zipper and a rustle of papers greeted her ears. She looked up to see Silas drop his backpack down in front of her and offer her a worn notebook.

"This, Tweety," he said, using his nickname for her. He motioned to the tattered notebook. "This is kinda like my diary. Except for the band, nobody else has seen it. I want you to have it."

Shocked, Janie took the notebook he offered. Touching the battered cover, she traced over every scratch and doodle with the tip of her finger.

Silas E. Cadence's Shit

Touch and Die

Her lips quirked up in a tiny smile. "Scary," she whispered. Silas shrugged, pushing his hair back with one hand. His mouth turned up into a little smirk. "I know,"

"But Janie. . . It's my shit, yeah. But now it's your shit." he grinned at her, two dimples winking back.

"You really want me to have this? Can I read it?"